CoP in healthcare settings

  • jane2851
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
      Hi all

      I joined this group today and look forward to hearing from you,
      especially if you are working with CoP in healthcare settings. I am
      writing a proposal to develop communities of practice across a range
      of healthcare settings in a geographical location in London UK. I am
      looking to enhance the learning experience for student nurses
      (initially) through their inclusion in a CoP. For practical reasons
      the CoP will be developed on a geographical basis.

      Have you experience of developing CoP in healthcare settings? If so,
      I would value and appreciate the opportunity of hearing about your
      experience - the challenges and opportunities you faced.

      Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.
    • Bruce Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
        Jane:
        I did not form formal CoPs for any definitive healthcare group. Mainly I
        found them difficult to establish and more difficult to maintain. What
        was of great assistance though in getting the various disciplines
        together (single groups and combined) to discuss and to learn were
        informal 'brown bag' lunches. These were not staff meetings or
        in-services but loose groups of individuals establishing their own
        agenda in an informal setting. They took turns presenting group
        determined topics or just having general 'bull sessions'.

        I have been away from the hospital for a couple of years so do not know
        if they still exist. Workloads are such that they probably do not.

        If I can be of assistance ... Please let me know.

        Bruce Jones

        I joined this group today and look forward to hearing from you,
        especially if you are working with CoP in healthcare settings. I am
        writing a proposal to develop communities of practice across a range
        of healthcare settings in a geographical location in London UK. I am
        looking to enhance the learning experience for student nurses
        (initially) through their inclusion in a CoP. For practical reasons
        the CoP will be developed on a geographical basis.

        Have you experience of developing CoP in healthcare settings? If so,
        I would value and appreciate the opportunity of hearing about your
        experience - the challenges and opportunities you faced.

        Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • jpalmertx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
          Hello Jane,

          Welcome to the group!

          In addition to a number of persons on this list who are interested in healthcare and CoPs, you will also find a group focused on that topic at CPsquare.org, "The community of practice on community of practice", a group related in many ways to this one.

          We have a Healthcare Practice Group there which has conference calls, online discussions, posted stories about CoPs in healthcare, etc.  The group has been going about 14 months now.

          Jim Palmer

          Leader, Healthcare Practice Group at CPsquare

          Director
          Caldwell Palmer Group
          Consulting on Communities of Practice in Healthcare and the Workplace
          caldwellpalmer@...
        • leelefever
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
            Jane Wrote:
            > Have you experience of developing CoP in healthcare settings? If so,
            > I would value and appreciate the opportunity of hearing about your
            > experience - the challenges and opportunities you faced.
            >
            > Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

            Hi Jane,
            I was an online community manager for a healthcare data company
            (Solucient, LLC) for three years (00-03)in the US. I'm not sure if
            you're looking at online CoPs or not, but I can provide some
            perspective from the online side.

            The vast majority of our members were nurses and the community focused
            on healthcare operations and the company's data. Looking back, I
            think a good notification system was really important to them. We
            used email notifications extensively and I heard quotes from members like:

            "If you don't put it in fromt of my face, I'm not going to use it"

            Also, it was very important to the nurses to know where the other
            members were from and what they did. We added profile information to
            each post, so the members could see where (geographically) the nurse
            was working and their job title. This may be most applicable to our
            localized health system in the US.

            Overall usability was very important too. If they couldn't "get it"
            on the first try (or two) they may never come back.

            Hope this helps Jane! Good luck!

            ~Lee LeFever

            http://www.commoncraft.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
              Lee's posting reminds me of a conversation early this morning about some
              petroleum engineers who didn't use an online environment that was provided
              for them.

              <snip>
              We used email notifications extensively and I heard quotes from members
              like:

              "If you don't put it in fromt of my face, I'm not going to use it"
              <snip>

              The factor that I thought of based on the engineers dis-use of their
              software platform was that CONTROL is very important: all or nothing choices
              aren't enough. Being able to choose exactly what email prompts, in what
              form, what frequency, etc. is very important. (Of course more choices can
              mean more complexity, too, but that's another challenge. :-)

              * John D. Smith - John.Smith@... V: 503.963.8229
              * Many of our institutions are designed for knowing rather than learning
              * -- Learning for a small planet
            • jheuristic
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 13, 2004
                Jim --

                The subtext of the Rocky Mountain KM Cluster on Innovation June 18 is
                healthcare. All are welcome.

                http://www.kmcluster.com/den/DEN_Summer_2004.htm

                This Week :: Innovation and Adaptability :: Denver

                This message is your personal invitation to register and join an
                important event gathering in Denver, Colorado, USA, on June 18th,
                2004, on 21st Century Innovation and Adaptability. (This week.)

                This event and the innovation priority for the Rocky Mountain region
                are being recognized by the Colorado governor and Denver's mayor.
                The
                Denver Post will cover this event next week.

                You are welcome and encouraged to share this invitation in your
                professional orbit and with colleagues concerned with innovation,
                learning and business growth.

                This breakthrough gathering will be held at the historic Brown Palace
                Hotel, 321 17th Street, Denver, Colorado, 80202, 303-297-3111 / 800-
                321-2599, from 8AM-5PM.

                The KM Cluster is a worldwide action/research community for the
                knowledge economy.

                Register at:

                http://www.kmcluster.com/den/DEN_Summer_2004.htm

                The lineup includes:

                Colorado governor Bill Owens' secretary of Innovation and Technology,
                Leroy Williams, will join the event and make opening remarks.

                Dr. Patricia Gabow, CEO of Denver Health, will talk about her
                innovation initiatives at one of the nation's models for a
                healthcare.

                Langdon Morris, founder of Innovation Labs and researcher at the
                University of Pennsylvania, will lead a talk about his 4th
                book "Wicked Innovation."

                Doug Kalish, PhD, of the Haas Graduate School of Business at UC
                Berkeley, will be talking about his work helping biotechnology
                organizations speed the innovation process.

                And many others...

                This is a day-long gathering. Please share this special invitation
                with your colleagues in the Rocky Mountain region. All are welcome
                and encouraged to participate in leading continuous innovation.

                To register visit: http://www.kmcluster.com/den/DEN_Summer_2004.htm

                On-line registration in advance required. There is small tuition to
                cover event logistics. Registration is limited to allow maximum
                interaction and conversations.

                Please call me personally if you have questions. Hope to see you all
                there!

                Leonard

                Leonard Kish
                Sponsor, Rocky Mountain KM Cluster