Re: [cp] technology seduction
- Dwayne, when I first saw your announcement, I thought to myself, great...
more spam. But then I decided to check it out and compare it with the rest
of my experience in the world of online community. After I took it all in
perspective, I realized that what you were sending was NOT spam. I feel
compelled to make this argument because you say that you got a lot out of
the experience. Announcements like that are very important tools for
people who work to enhance community. And I would encourage you to use such
a thing again (not here of course, you've already made the invitation).
Your announcement would have been spam if:
1. This forum had ground rules or guidelines that would have informed you
that the announcement was unwanted
2. If it was made redundantly and/or continued beyond the expressed wishes
of the forum.
3. If it had little to do with the purpose of this forum (e.g. apply here
for you new credit card http://www.creditforfools.com). Your announcement
clearly was an invitation to participate in an activity that was topic
4. Your were using the discussion for an opportunity to plug yet one more
time your URL (which you aren't, thank you).
I have a rant to make about the lack of definition of this forum (ref. item
#1 above). But I'll not get into that now. We have a general topic. And
it seems that many of us join this forum through similar channels (e.g.
conferences and online courses). Other than that, we don' really have many
guidelines. It's difficult to argue that your announcement was spam.
I think that's important.
55 Cambridge Parkway, Cambridge, MA 02142
matthew_simpson@..., 617.693.1574; or (fax) 617.693.1407