RE: [cp] Microsoft SharePoint

  • Wirth, Ross
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2004
      RE: [cp] Microsoft SharePoint

      At what point do you experience scaling problems?  And how do the problems manifest themselves?

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22, 2004
        RE: [cp] Microsoft SharePoint
        Talking about the internat KM CoP. I don't think I can put a finger on it since I was participating, not managing, and I don't have all the data.

        But at a guess... things started to look confusing as soon as about 10 threads or lines of work were trying to get coordinated at once. Not enough collateral information (comments, conversations) was getting posted regarding each uploaded document, and there was no confortable venue for informal talk, so people started getting lost and the number of active participants dropped: it became a publisher-reader model instead of a conversational one. It was very hard to participate, so work was getting done outside the portal and only results got posted there.

        Once the portal started losing relevance, it dropped from most radars. And since most of the people needed some assistance to use it anyway, they eventually started sidelining the portal. It became a document repository for a few people.

        The fault was not just the tool, but I can't help thinking it was a bad choice for building a participative CoP.

        To complete the story: the portal still exists, and two business units still use it to hang documents. The promoters were fired long ago. The "euro-wide" line of business has disappeared into splintered practices. Most of the people who participated don't even have access now. I still have it as home page in my browser, but I haven't let it load for over a year.

        BTW, congratulations on the new list idea. If I finally have to use SPP for the new project, I hope to be an active member :-).