RE: [cp] Educator CoP

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2004
      Hi Kevin,

      other list members have already given some deeper ideas, and there are a few communities of practice for educators on the web, so I'll stick to the basics.

      a. Have a look at http://www.trainingvillage.gr/etv/default.asp . This is a CEDEFOP resource for educators (rather dedicated to vocational learning, but with a lot of practical resources and ideas). It has looked at a lot of the real problems of e-learning.

      b. Go for a problem, not for a group. Don't try to build a CoP for a group of people, but for working on a particular problem: the problem that interests your target group.

      c. Keep it simple and evolve only when there is demand for it. IMHO: build a basic forum with a document repository. Add subforums only when people need them and traffic about the subject grows.

      d. Get the best help you can recruit. Not just "good" people, but people who can really dedicate some time to the project. Without someone passionately pushing the CoP, there will be no CoP.

      e. Be patient. I've built a basic resource for educators interested in computer-aided teaching (see http://www.macuarium.com/foro/index.php?showforum=32 ). It started some months ago and is still gathering pace. These things are slow.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
        Miguel,
        We have found your basic advice in b), c), d) and e) in initiating and
        maintaining CoPs of physicians to be very true; especially the need for a
        project that interests all members.
        We think this finding blurs one of the differences between teams and CoPs
        as defined by many including Etienne.

        John Parboosingh

      • bstuckey@intraceptives.com.au
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
          John et al

          I would agree with your comments about project activity. I think Etienne would
          suggest and my experience would support the idea that that difference is the
          CoP will be persist after the project (where a team will disband) and that the
          members chose the project roles shape and form. For many people working
          together was their first realisation of the value of being together. So the
          project nourishes the sense community (identity and all it entails) while the
          pool of community members are completing the project.

          For me a network can talk about issues and swap war stories but a community
          collaborates and builds new artefacts as expression of the practice (Etienne's
          reification). Tasks, responsibilities and roles all flow from collaborative
          project work and build community.

          As far as education CoPs take a look at the following, they are as diverse as
          the field of education is.

          The Australian Flexible Learning Community (Australia)
          http://www.learnscope.anta.gov.au/LearnScope/home.asp
          Vocational Education community supporting flexible learning

          MirandaNet Fellowship (UK/International)
          http://www.mirandanet.ac.uk/fellowship/
          UK – teacher and researcher community supporting ICT in school education

          WebHeads (European)
          http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/webheads.htm
          Teachers of English as a second language

          Inquiry Learning Forum (USA)
          http://ilf.crlt.indiana.edu/
          Community based support for Inquiry learning in maths and sciences K-12

          TappedIn (International)
          http://ti2.sri.com/tappedin/
          Meta-community for many facets of education

          BTW I am finishing my case study findings on 10 Internet-mediated CoPs
          (education and other)and the way that their originators provided opportunity
          for community to flourish. For this I have developed a framework for meta-
          analysis of the great advice/guidelines out there (Kim, Wenger, McDermott,
          Cothrell, Le Moult, Schlager, etc). I had to do this because the advice varies
          so greatly from the very conceptual and theoretical to the nitty gritty highly
          practical (not comparing apples and oranges but building a healthy bowl of
          fruit :-) ). If anyone is interested in previewing that material I would be
          very happy to share it in exchange for comment and critique. Just email me
          directly if interested.

          My Aussie 2c worth

          Bronwyn

        • Ben Daniel
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
            I also think that another key distinction between a
            CoP and project team is sustainability of interest in
            participation. It ocurs to me that the type and level
            of motivation to participate in a project team differ
            significantly from that of a CoP.
            Ben

            --- bstuckey@... wrote: > John et

            === message truncated ===

          • John Parboosingh
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
              Hi Peter,
              Many thanks for this information and source. I have checked out the website
              in search of more information about KALiF as I perceive a use for such an
              initiative. I am thinking of a diagnostic to assess "readiness" in a group
              to take advantage of becoming a CoP and and a second diagnostic to assess
              readiness to ICT enabled CoP.
              Many thanks for this contribution

              John Parboosingh

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
                Hi Bronwyn,
                Many thanks for the input. I find it very helpful as we try to promote CoPs
                among physicians. Your observations certianly apply to physician CoPs.
                I would be most interested in previewing your report and providing feedback,
                but I dont think I know enough to be helpful.

                John Parboosingh

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2004
                  Hi John,

                  (last post in a while, I'm saturating the list with post-holiday's enthusiasm... I've been almost a month off.)

                  I don't know about "orthodox" names but, IMHO, project-based communities are CoPs and teams at the same time. If you care for an economics-biased explanation, you can read it here:

                  (Explaining and capturing CoP value,
                  http://www.knowledgeboard.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=116398&d=pnd )

                  I'd appreciate your opinions.