Re: [cp] A new book: Going Virtual: Distributed Communities of Practice, by P...

  • pmhildreth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi Rolf

      You are quite right, "‘Going the Extra Half-Mile’ - International Communities of Practice and the Role of Shared Artefacts" was my DPhil thesis and is the basis for  'Going Virtual: Distributed Communities of Practice'.  The reason is that the thesis was very heavily requested when it was completed and a number of people got back to me (some of them com-prac members - many thanks) suggesting that it be published, hence the adaptation and the work with Idea-Group Publishing

      regards

      Paul

      <<Reacting on a mail by John D. Smith of Friday, October 24, 2003, 21:42:

      > I just heard about this book:

      > Going Virtual: Distributed Communities of Practice
      > Paul Hildreth, K-Now-International, UK
      > ISBN: 1-59140-164-X; $74.95 h/c
      > ISBN: 1-59140-271-9; $59.95 s/c
      > eISBN: 1-59140-165-8
      > Publication Date: September, 2003
      > Imprint: Idea Group Publishing
      > Copyright 2004

      Sounds interesting. Perhaps an additional URL to this, which seems to be the
      basis for the book :-)

      ‘Going the Extra Half-Mile’ - International Communities of Practice and the Role
      of Shared Artefacts
      Paul M Hildreth
      Submitted for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy
      The University of York
      Department of Computer Science
      December 2000
      http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/ftpdir/reports/YCST-2001-05.pdf