Re: [cp] front, back and side-to-side channels

  • Richard McDermott
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
      Chris,

      You make an interesting distinction between back and side to side channels.
      Could you elaborate the distinction? Crossing the boundary to other
      communities?

      PS: I have been doing some research in ebusiness & ecommunities and find
      most ebusinesses use "community" as code for loyal customers. Of course,
      there are some interesting ecommunities, but most I have found are not
      associated with ebusinesses. Do you know some ebusinesses that truly host
      communities?

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
        --- In com-prac@egroups.com, "Richard McDermott" <richard@r...> wrote:

        > PS: I have been doing some research in ebusiness & ecommunities and
        > find most ebusinesses use "community" as code for loyal customers.
        > Of course, there are some interesting ecommunities, but most I have
        > found are not associated with ebusinesses. Do you know some
        > ebusinesses that truly host communities?

        Participate.com is one company making a business out of helping other
        companies set up and actively manage their online communities.
        Participate.com's website is at:

        http://www.participate.com/

        For information about Participate.com you can contact:

        Joseph Cothrel cothrel@...

        Joseph is a member of our com-prac community and Participate.com's
        Vice President of Research.

        I have not engaged Participate.com to help ARCO with community
        building but I have benefited from reading over the whitepapers they
        have published on their website.

        -- Paul Ford
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
          In particular, Joe's May 17 white paper titled "return on community" has
          some really helpful stuff. I think Scenario 2 is one that I'll point to as
          soon as the question of "well, how do we justify it to The Board" comes up
          in Etienne's class.

          The other thing that's remarkable about Joe (are you listening?) is that his
          REFERENCES are utterly fascinating. He reads stuff from very different
          learning communities than the ones that are "normal" for me!

          John

          --*
          --* John D. Smith | 503.963.8229 | 2025 SE Elliott Ave., Portland OR
          97214-5339
          --* http://www.teleport.com/~smithjd ICQ: 72789757
          --* "No great thing is created suddenly" -Epictetus