front, back and side-to-side channels

  • Chris Macrae
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      I find this discussion on back-channel, front-channel, side to side channels
      very useful. Indeed, which of these channels is used most to:
      1) everyday action the community's purpose
      2) propel it forward in getting better and better
      may be one of the defining characteristics of how to benchmark and
      understand COPs. Even if it isn't , I hope someone will capture these sorts
      of terms in the definition table

      A few somewhat random observations:
      a) The visiibility of the front channel may be a peculiarity of online
      groups and webs. eg I imagine in come non-virtual communities, that the
      front channel may be the least used and the side-to-side the most. Or is a
      better description multiple hubs (eg people who are looked on by the
      community for particular expertises) which have both a side and front role

      b) In trying to research professional web communities, I've certainly
      encountered the problem of trying to work out what's behind the front web.
      It's often pretty hard to find out requiring both joining the community (if
      one qualifies) and getting to know who does what at the back. I've also
      started to note how many ebusiness plans feature community as one of their
      core deliverables but have completely ignored the back and side-toside,
      equating the front of glossy web features as all they need. IMO this is to
      say that most year 2000 investors have a very immature understanding of how
      community really needs to be grown and sustained.

      chris macrae, e-mail wcbn007@...
      http://www.brandknowledge.com