Re: networks and CoPs

  • njdkrush
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2003
      --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Smith" <john.smith@l...>
      wrote:
      > Andy (and Doug?),
      >
      > One relationship between social networks and communities of practice
      > that I'm seeing is that communities are a kind of affordance: they
      make
      > it easier to see the knowledge network, and deliberately so. (They
      > provide a way to intervene as well, for better or worse; supporting
      or
      > squelching a network might be even more difficult than visiualizing
      it.)

      > I really like your statement:
      >
      > >> Providing the communities you identify with the tools to map
      their
      > own
      > develop represents a far better way to nurture CoP and trust in the
      > concept
      > of networking.
      >
      > In this context it seems puzzling for a big pharma company like
      Aventis
      > to _DE_emphasize communities but emphasize networks. Why does that
      make
      > sense?
      >
      > A hypothesis is that: It might save on the
      > budget but make traversing the network
      > more costly. <-- that's a very tentative thought :->
      >
      > John
      ________________________

      I believe the reason for the deemphasis has less to do with budget
      than with a desire to reduce bureaucracy. At least within Aventis,
      CoP's are viewed as too structured and as requiring too much
      maintenance. Networks are fluid, dynamic and constantly change to
      meet business needs. I work primarily in the early research end of
      the R&D process - projects come and go at a very rapid pace -
      networks need to constantly adapt to this ebb and flow of projects
      and their knowledge needs. It's not that we don't have CoP's, we do,
      for example, around immunology. It's just that in today's rapidly
      changing business environment, knowledge networking receives stronger
      support from the organization.

      Doug
    • noreen sullivan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2003
        Do you mean personal networks of people or networks of computers?