Re: [cp] Gut test, criteria, and observation of "real communities of practice"

  • Chris Reid
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2000

      I am also interested in seeing how communities work outside the work place.
      Mostly, what I think I must do is simply appreciate the ones that already exist
      around me. Your very thoughtful post was a pleasure to read and I will respond
      on a couple of points you raised.

      I would distinguish the downsizing experience from the not paying dues one.
      Downsizing is not controlled by the person who is laid off. Layoff can be
      sudden, shocking, is a major economic blow, and most often involves a tremendous
      loss of self esteem. The way the group makes sense of itself is thrown into

      A decision not to pay dues is a decision not to participate in the community.
      The community has created a way to handle it. The individual controls it. One
      is commonly seen to be tragic and a major life problem, the other a decision
      members may regret but not go into shock about (or so I think).

      re: destruction of communities -- I almost think that companies should not be
      told of the creation of a CoP. They must hear strictly economic results. It is
      fine if they wonder how the team or consultants do it. I am sadder but wiser
      and no longer care if an executive is open minded or comprehends the concept of
      communities of practice. Instead, I care whether the executive under stress
      feels that the work, whatever those people are doing, is directly linked to the
      bottom line results. That kind of rationale, in the end, is the one that
      usually flies.

      re: the limits of our ability to assess negotiation of meaning, intrinsic
      motivation: Can we interview the members and discern from what they say
      something about motivation?

      Chris Reid