Re: [cp] Who's here?

  • Maria Jordano
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
      Thanks all for your quickly response...

      Now I feel the same here, it is increadible the amount of information and flow of knowledge shared here.

      I will begin with my thesis now, and I have been dealing with the study of communities for two years. Our professors always repeat us that the aim of a thesis is to produce original and for latter use of the community of reseachers... but looking at all that I am seeing in all the forums I participate I perceive more and more doubtful the future of thesis... evenmore in this field, where you learn and you receive more updated and specific knowledge in othe of these communities that having a look at a thesis that was began to be writen years ago...

      Even now, when I read my proyect, writen a few months ago, it looks rather old to me...

      I don't know If I am expressing clearly what I want...

      Mar�a

      Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
      Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n

      14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

      TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc -  www.mariajordano.com

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Bronwyn Stuckey
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
        Maria,

        Why not share a brief description of your thesis/research ideas with this group?
        You could send it privatley to a smaller group after you collect the names of a
        few people who might critique and advise on your ideas in private. This is a
        very generous group and I think you would find people will help boost your
        flagging confidence.

        I am one who might be available to help. I am an educator and also writng my
        thesis at this very minute. Anyone else able to be a critical friend?

        Bronwyn

        Quoting Maria Jordano <maria_jordano@...>:

        > Thanks all for your quickly response...
        >
        > I have been participating for more than a year (and still there) in another
        > Yahoo group dealing with communities,
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evonline2002_webheads/ and from the very
        > begining I was a ashamed of the lot of theories and knowledge produced from
        > it.
        >
        > Now I feel the same here, it is increadible the amount of information and
        > flow of knowledge shared here.
        >
        > I will begin with my thesis now, and I have been dealing with the study of
        > communities for two years. Our professors always repeat us that the aim of a
        > thesis is to produce original and for latter use of the community of
        > reseachers... but looking at all that I am seeing in all the forums I
        > participate I perceive more and more doubtful the future of thesis...
        > evenmore in this field, where you learn and you receive more updated and
        > specific knowledge in othe of these communities that having a look at a
        > thesis that was began to be writen years ago...
        >
        > Even now, when I read my proyect, writen a few months ago, it looks rather
        > old to me...
        >
        > I don't know If I am expressing clearly what I want...
        >

        > María
        >

        > María Jordano de la Torre
        > Avda. Menéndez Pidal, s/n
        > 14071 Córdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130
        >
        > TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

        Bronwyn Stuckey
        StageStruck Online
        Professional Development Community Facilitator
        bstuckey@...
      • Maria Jordano
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
          Hi Bronwyn,

          Thanks for you quickly reply... (This is really a very efficient group). Ok, I'll give it.

          Here in Spain, we are obliged to attend a two year Phd course before writing our thesis. after that (nothing to do with my topic... by the way), we have to write a mini-reseach paper in order to be defended at the end to get some kind of certificate telling that you are prepare to go on with your thesis...

          I did that paper based on the creation of a community formed by students of English and Spanish students as EFL in order to get motivation and a more natural environment to develop both languages at the same time It helped to teachers and students to be more literate on ITC. (This is just a brief summary...)

          It liked it a lot, eventhough here the word "community" was somekind of alien... more even in a Department of literature and language, were most of the members are almos technofobics....

          What I would like to do know is doing the same but applied to ESP (for Tourism). I have already writen the project,  and I have to present it now, but each time it passes I feel like I would change something... Knowledge in communities advances quicker than light.... and sometimes I feel like it will became obsolate the day I will have to defend it...

          By the way, does anybody know a free tool on the web to create a corpues of words, in order to be created collaboratelly?

          Kinf regards,

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
            Message
            Maria,

                Your research reminds me of Patricia Arnold's dissertation.  We're reusing some of her material in a paper at the Amsterdam C&T conference in September, comparing her spontaneous & self-organizing community of students with two other "learning situations" from a commuinity of practice perspective.  Patricia's website is at:

            John
            --*
            --* John D. Smith - John.Smith@... V: 503.963.8229
            --* Ready for the www.learningalliances.net/Muckabout ?
            --* "Knowledge helps only when it descends into habits."  Jerome Bruner
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
              Hi Maria,

              if you use Mac, yes: there's Hydra, a tool for collaboratively writing or coding, even remotely. It works beautifully. It's Open Source and free, too.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
                  At 03:33 PM 7/1/2003, you wrote:
                  >And If I have a PC?

                  http://www.quicktopic.com