RE: [cp] Another attempt to link teachers through CoPs

  • Sean K. Murphy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
      Just to add to John's great suggestions.
      1. John's second item is key I believe. Starting something around
      a face-to-face event that these ESL folks will be attending already,
      a conference or other event that you could use to "put faces to the
      e-mail names."
      2. Easiest way to start might be with an e-mail newsletter that you
      put out on a regular basis. Could be every two weeks, four weeks,
      six weeks but the key is that there is good content for the group
      to start from. Solicit articles from others from the very beginning
      and plan on this receding to a frequency you can live with to complement
      an on-line newsgroup like Yahoo Groups as you community grows.
      3. Just as you want to start around face to face you should consider
      a calendar of events that would let these folks meet at a "birds
      of a feather" or similar type meeting as a part of other gatherings
      some of them are already attending. I think there is a lot of focus on
      e-mail and web, but facilitating regular face to face meetings, even if
      it's a subset of the community and piggybacking on another event
      will be of value
      4. Either in a Yahoo Groups download area or a simple website
      make sure you create a Frequently Asked Questions list or FAQ
      from the very beginning. It should help to answer 80% of the questions
      a newcomer might have about the purpose of your community and how
      to become more involved (e.g. meetings, contributing articles to newsletters,
      suggested topics for posting, presenting a "case" or request for
      assistance, etc...). Anytime you find yourself answering the same
      question, or see someone else answering the same question for the third
      time, put it into the FAQ.

      Good luck and keep us posted./SeanM
      Sean Murphy skmurphy@... www.dys-add.com

    • Connie Mudge
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 4, 2003
        Thank you very much for these suggestions. They fit nicely with the
        direction that I think I'd pointed myself in, and it's great to have
        confirmation that it's likely to be the right one.
        * Preparation: in progress! Joined the facilitation group (thanks
        for the suggestion) and as I think I noted initially, I'm prepared
        to take as long as it takes to get this as close to being right as i
        can on the first go.

        * Had decided that the face-to-face meetings would be my
        main "marketing" strategy!! Good to know it was a useful thought

        * Networking: working on it - thanks for the suggestions. By the
        way, details of the book that you and Bronwyn contributed the
        chapter to? I think I knew I'd need to "cultivate" those willing and
        hard-working few. I am constantly amazed by what gets accomplished
        through the goodwill of our teachers, and I know they'll come
        through.

        Will keep in touch.
        Thanks
        Connie

        PS Can you confirm for me the practice in this group about including
        original messages? I know in some lists, we snip or summarise in
        deference to those with download limits, etc. As you can see, I've
        left everything attached!!
        Ta. Connie

        --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Smith" <john.smith@l...>

      • Connie Mudge
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 4, 2003

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 4, 2003
            --- In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Sean K. Murphy" <skmurphy@m...>
            wrote:
            > Just to add to John's great suggestions.
            > 1. John's second item is key I believe. Starting something
            around
            > a face-to-face event that these ESL folks will be attending
            already,
            > a conference or other event that you could use to "put faces to the
            > e-mail names."

            Thank you. Fabulous to have a "gut feel" confirmed so strongly.

            > 2. Easiest way to start might be with an e-mail newsletter
            that you
            > put out on a regular basis.

            Terrific idea! Our rural and regional consultant (looks after 20
            districts - very scattered ESL teachers - already does a print
            version once a term. i will investigate piggybacking - or using as a
            pilot.

            > 3. Just as you want to start around face to face you should
            consider
            > a calendar of events that would let these folks meet at a "birds
            > of a feather" or similar type meeting as a part of other gatherings

            Another great idea. Will follow this up.

            > 4. Either in a Yahoo Groups download area or a simple website
            > make sure you create a Frequently Asked Questions list or FAQ
            > from the very beginning.

            I know I use FAQs a lot, but probably would have forgotten to set
            one up. Thanks for the reminder.

            > Good luck and keep us posted./SeanM

            Thanks again - and definitely will keep in touch. Much too good a
            source of advice and support to ignore!!

            Connie
          • Connie Mudge
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2003
              Hi Betsy
              Thank you for your interest. I am mostly interested in finding a
              means of encouraging ESL teachers to "talk" to each other in this
              sort of environment to transfer (sort of) the kinds of sharing and
              mutual development that always results from a face to face meeting.
              My budget would be minimal, and I would need to rely on a certain
              amount of goodwill and enthusiasm in the field. I've always felt
              that teaching is a pretty isolated work environment, even if you
              work in a huge school in the middle of the city. There's usually
              never enough time to engage with your colleagues between teaching,
              preparation, duties, etc. For ESL teahcers, and particularly those
              in our "outback" this is even worse. At the moment, playing with
              possibilities and want to make sure that anything I do try keeps the
              risk of a monumental "stuff-up" on as small a scale as possible!!
              Connie

              In com-prac@yahoogroups.com, BETSY LAFLIN LAFLIN <betsylaflin@c...>
              wrote:
              > connie- i am interested in discussing this idea with you further.
              i am
              > in the field of education and am focused on stakeholder
              collaboration &
              > the connections between policy and practice. please let me know
              what
              > you are thinking about.
              > betsy laflin

            • Connie Mudge
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2003
                Hi John
                Thank you for the link. I am following through and reading madly.
                Did you have anything to do with the project> Any insights you can
                share? I need to "percolate" all the input I've had and work out a
                slow-and-steady plan of action from here. Thanks again.
                Connie