The first draft of a report on the knowledge net

  • Andy Swarbrick
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2002
      Dear all

      I have uploaded a copy of the first draft of a report performing some
      level of analysis and interpretation of the data collected on the
      knowledge network into the presentation folder on this yahoo group.

      I have included the conceptual framwork that I am using for thinking
      about the knowledge network aswell.

      At the moment we still really need more people to update their
      communication frequency to start getting some really good insights. But
      I thought that you guys would find it interesting to see what additional
      levels of insight can be gained from using more quantitative measures of
      the network.

      I hope you find this of interest, and if you have any feedback or
      suggestion of additional aspects you would like included in future
      reviews of the knowledge net please feel free to ask.
      Now, imust go as I have burnig the candle at both ends recently and I am
      going to try and sign off for the weekend on this.....

      I would like to thank all those who hace particpated so , I would
      encourage any one who has created an account to go in and just have a
      play. Even though I have been working with this stuff for over a year
      now I still find it a facinating and informative approach. And a really
      good way to just to get to know people and there work a little better .

      Warm regards

      Andy Swarbrick
      TecLAB
      Department of Speech Communication
      University of Illinois
      Urbana
      IL61820
      Illinois
      USA
      @: swarbric@.../ andy@...
      url: http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk
    • Denham Grey
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2002
        My sincere thanks to Fred Nickols for a spirited response to
        some 'fighting' talk:

        Let me try and answer his queries.

        Self-contained:
        I notice two orientations in CoPs (both the natural and 'cultured'
        variety, BTW a great analogy). Ones that turns inwards, concentrates
        on participant learning & value, here the CoP keep very much to
        themselves, do not interact directly with the larger organization or
        see themselves in any way beholden to deliver = self contained. Other
        CoPs adopt a 'service' vision, regard themselves as informal centers
        of excellence, seek to have a 'political voice', offer opinions,
        advice and help to employees who may not be participants. This is a
        different dimension to seeded vs. self-organizing.

        Politics vs. practice:
        My plea was for attention to understanding what happens within CoPs
        rather than how to steward CoPs within or across firms /
        organizations. I think the gap we need to cover is: how participants
        come to create knowledge, learn, build trust, share concepts, make
        key distinctions and build ontologies.

        Working CoPs:
        Fred makes the point (if I interpret him right) that to be recognized
        as a CoP, the group needs to have a learning agenda, have some
        measure of established trust, have rituals in place and be moving
        forward. Perhaps for him 'stuck' CoPs just never crossed the key
        threshold - they have not emerged? Here we dwell in semantics and
        fuzzy categorization. I recognize CoPs that have social bonding but
        struggle to make progress with learning or knowledge creation.

        Exploitation:
        The observation that the CoP paradigm has been exploited, is valid in
        my view - way too many firms are seeking a magic recipe rather
        than 'being' in practice. I cringe when CoP advocates suggest
        explicit rewards and direct payment for participation.

        Our gaps:
        Improved understanding of the role and function of 'situatedness' in
        CoPs, articulating how individuals interact with genres e.g. virtual
        collaboration tools, build & maintain their group memory, capture
        expertise, validate claims, come to recognize working patterns, share
        terminology and distinguish lessons learned.

        Perhaps my plea can best be articulated by making reference to an
        article by Liz Davenport, 2002. "Mundane knowledge management and
        microlevel organizational learning: an ethological approach", Journal
        of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 53
        (12): 1038 - 1046.

        Liz describes this as: "a focus on the issue of maintenance work that
        sustains communites: the identification and negotiation of aims,
        tasks, resource allocation, alignments, and the nature of
        apprenticeship...."

        Fred, thanks again for your response.