Participation wanted in a new knowledge network initiative

  • Andy Swarbrick
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
      Dear All

      I would like to invite you all to participate in an initiative to create
      an interactive map of the knowledge network for people involved in
      knowledge networks, communities of practice, organisational learning
      etc.

      This map will be created using an application called I-KNOW that uses
      social network analysis to create interactive visual representations of
      networks based on social relationships and knowledge attributes. It is
      my hope that this will form the basis of a tool that can be used to
      support the foundation of stronger ties in the network of people
      involved in both research and practice in the kind of subjects that are
      of concern to the people on this Yahoo! group.

      Many of you may be familiar with the first knowledge networking project
      that I originally ran when I was at the Univeristy of York that had very
      similar aims. This time around though I have access to a later version
      of the I-KNOW application and it is running on a more stable server. All
      the reports produced from the original CoP Knowledge Network can be
      found on my website at http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk .

      The first stage will consist of an online questionnaire, that will ask a
      series of questions about area's of relevant expertise , areas of
      interest, and other attributes like work location and perhaps a short
      introduction to yourself and your work.

      The nature of the I-KNOW application means that new people, and new
      areas of interests expertise etc can be added as the list of particpants
      grows.
      The next stage will be to collect data on the level of communication
      between the particpants.

      This is what I see as being the order of play with this.

      * Do an initial data collection ( about 5-10 minutes max per respondent)

      *After the all the data is input and any new participants enrolled, get
      everyone to revist the questionnaire and fill in details for their
      communication frequency with any new participants and their level of
      expertise or interest in any new topic areas added by participants. (
      again about 5-10 minutes)

      After the initial data collection I will produce a short report on the
      network observed. However, please note that this will be a very rough
      level of network analysis that I have found to be usefull as a community
      supporting tool. Many of you familiar with SNA will note there are a
      number of issues around questions about communication and possible
      ambiguities.

      However, what I have found is that when using I-KNOW it is best to use
      the minimum amount of data to allow the location of patterns of
      interactions. This is because the data collection process needs to be
      very low impact, as you have to keep revisting the data you input.

      Obviously, I am very open to any discussions about my own approach as I
      am still going through the learning process with this (one I think will
      go on for a very long time) and any feedback can only help. There is a
      powerpoint presentation that I will distribute on request that provides
      a brief outline to my approach to using SNA and I-KNOW to support
      communities and knowledge networks within organisations.

      Instructions on use of the knowledge net.

      Goto http://tek1.spcomm.uiuc.edu/knowledge_net/

      And Click on "Set Up New Account"

      Then proceed to create yourself an account on the knowledge net. Please
      note that this will be used for all future access to the knowledge net
      so make sure that your actual name for your real name. Also please do
      not create more than one account for yourself if you lose your password
      contact me at andy@... and I will send out your details right
      away.

      ....then go through the rest of the questionnaire and fill in the rest
      of the information required.

      When you have finished the questionnaire it will ask you to close your
      browser.

      After I have enough people who have created accounts (20-30), I will
      produce a short report on the knowledge network.

      After this I will open up the I-KNOW application so everyone with an
      account can use its online analysis and visualisation features. At this
      point I will ask everyone to fill in their information of how often you
      communicate with one another.

      After this data is added, I will put aside some time to create a custom
      guide on how to use all the analysis and visualisation of I-KNOW.

      If anyone has any questions on this please feel to get me directly at
      andy@..., or feed anything back through this e-mail list.

      Many thanks in advance

      Andy Swarbrick
      TecLAB
      Department of Speech Communication
      University of Illinois
      Urbana
      IL61820
      Illinois
      USA
      @: swarbric@.../ andy@...
      url: http://www.knowledge-business.co.uk
    • Fred Nickols
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
        Andy:

        Regarding your request below:

        a. Why ever in the world would I do this?

        b. What's in it for you?

        nickols@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
          Hi Fred

          Well I am judging by your e-mail that you are a bit skeptical about this
          knowledge net thing, or just my motives.
          Both of which I understand I am surprised I haven't been asked this
          before.

          I am afraid I am going to have to answer your questions in reverse order
          while I try and think of what is in it for you in particular.

          So what is in it for me,
          Well I like working with knowledge networks for one, I find them very
          interesting my previous experiences with setting up an IKNOW for this
          group allowed me to make lots of new contacts. I got to learn an awful
          lot in a very short period of time. As my previous academic supervisor
          at York, Chris Kimble, who is also part of this com-prac group will
          testify.

          My ultimate aim of developing my approach to knowledge networking in
          organizations and wider social systems is that it could one day be used
          to develop sustainable economic growth in real world communities through
          building social capital. To do that I need to learn an awful lot more
          about the field of knowledge management and makes links with people
          where exchanging knowledge and collaborating would be in our joint
          interest.

          I believe that personal networking should not be about, exploiting the
          network as part of game plan but an actual long term strategy for
          continuous learning and personal development.

          In In fact I advocate this so strongly that I am willing to spend my
          time setting up a tool that can be used by everyone in the group to find
          people with similar interest, required expertise or engaged in similar
          activities.

          I am very excited about my approach, and after getting the chance to be
          involved in using it within a commercial organization and getting really
          good feedback from that I am feeling more confident about it. I would
          like other people to see the benefits of using social / knowledge
          network analysis and how that links up with CoP. I know this is an area
          where Richard McDermott has done lot of really interesting work, but I
          thought that people in the group might benefit from a practical
          demonstration.

          So a: Why ever in the world would I do this?

          I'll have to admit I was quite taken aback by the wording, but I will
          try and answer as best I can.

          It would really help me if you would tell me. Why in the world would you
          not do this?
          I am trying to learn about what would stop someone using this, how to
          make people see the value in it or is there any value in it. So
          seriously please do respond.

          Well,
          * you would get the chance to see real life demonstration of new type of
          community tool first hand
          * potential use the tool to improve/strengthen your understanding of the
          knowledge networks at play
          * get some exposure to social network analysis, if you have not already.
          * just join in an participate in a free initiative, that just might be
          useful.

          I hope I have gone someway to answering your questions, I have no doubt
          that you were not the only one with this reaction.
          Fred, I do hope that you do join in and find it useful. I like reading
          your posts on this forum so would greatly appreciate any feedback you
          have.

          The URL for the survey is
          http://tek1.spcomm.uiuc.edu/knowledge_net/iknow.cgi this will be used to
          create the map, that will be available to all shortly.

          Warm Regards

          Andy

          ::: http://www.egroups.com/group/com-prac

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Leon Benjamin
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
            Andy,

            I've set up an account - really looking forward to this exercise.

            Leon Benjamin.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
              Fred

              Andy's work is one of those areas where i think understanding follows the
              maxim Practice Makes Perfect. Also how can phd researchers commune practice
              stuff if practice people dont help make the first links

              So my vote would be:
              1) enjoy a practice trial
              2) I will bcc you a long mail I have just been writing to try and invite my
              20 best friends to have a look in; I expect the mail will confuse gloriously
              (if it does please trash or interrogate me as you feel fit)

              sincerely
              chris macrae wcbn007@...
              www.valuetrue.com Transparency Mapping