Re: cognitive perspective of learning and CoP

  • psboggiano
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
      For what I understand the cognitive perspective is based in the idea
      that the individual is who learns in a process of internalisation of
      concepts. Then, for an individual the challenge will be how to
      internalise concepts and then how to apply them in different context.
      In this sense could be interesting to take a look to the paper of
      Tsoukas, 1996 were he explains an critic this perspective. From the
      organisation point of view the main problem will be how to transfer
      the knowledge that individuals posses to the rest of the organisation.

      CoP takes a different perspective. For CoP there is not knowledge
      without a community, because it is from the engagement between the
      participants in the community that knowledge will emerge. In this
      sense to be able to learn it is necessary to get involve with a
      community and have a space to participate in their activities. From
      Wenger's (2000) perspective the challenge for organisation will be
      how to cultivate CoP and in this sense Wenger gives three main ideas:
      identify CoP, provide an infrastructure to support their work and
      asses their value using non-traditional methods.

      I know that the explanation is very short, but I hope it can help you
      to have a first idea. Could be good if you take a look to Lave, J.
      And Wenger, E. 1991 Situated learning: legitimate peripheral
      participation. Cambridge U.P.

      Tsoukas, 1996 "The firm as a distributed knowledge system: A
      constructionist approach" Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 17
      (Winter Special Issue)

      Wenger and Snyder, 2000. Communities of Practice: The organizational
      Frontier in Harvard Business Review, January-February.

      Pablo