cognitive perspective of learning and CoP

  • mwhud2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2002
      Hi my name is Abdullah. This is my first posting. I am interested to
      know how the cognitive perspective of learning fits in or relates to
      the concept CoP.
      thanks
      abdullah bayat
      cape town
      South Africa
    • psboggiano
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
        For what I understand the cognitive perspective is based in the idea
        that the individual is who learns in a process of internalisation of
        concepts. Then, for an individual the challenge will be how to
        internalise concepts and then how to apply them in different context.
        In this sense could be interesting to take a look to the paper of
        Tsoukas, 1996 were he explains an critic this perspective. From the
        organisation point of view the main problem will be how to transfer
        the knowledge that individuals posses to the rest of the organisation.

        CoP takes a different perspective. For CoP there is not knowledge
        without a community, because it is from the engagement between the
        participants in the community that knowledge will emerge. In this
        sense to be able to learn it is necessary to get involve with a
        community and have a space to participate in their activities. From
        Wenger's (2000) perspective the challenge for organisation will be
        how to cultivate CoP and in this sense Wenger gives three main ideas:
        identify CoP, provide an infrastructure to support their work and
        asses their value using non-traditional methods.

        I know that the explanation is very short, but I hope it can help you
        to have a first idea. Could be good if you take a look to Lave, J.
        And Wenger, E. 1991 Situated learning: legitimate peripheral
        participation. Cambridge U.P.

        Tsoukas, 1996 "The firm as a distributed knowledge system: A
        constructionist approach" Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 17
        (Winter Special Issue)

        Wenger and Snyder, 2000. Communities of Practice: The organizational
        Frontier in Harvard Business Review, January-February.

        Pablo