Thinking about Etienne Wenger's CoP class as a community

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2000
      Friends,

      I'm putting together a panel discussion in a week to talk about virtual
      communities. Joe Cothrel (on this list) is one of the speakers and Richard
      Bittinger (who was in the Fall '99 class) is another. I'm going to talk
      about Etienne's class for 15 minutes. I'm asking for reactions to the draft
      handout that I've posted in our eGroup web site at:

      http://www.egroups.com/files/com-prac/Observations_Logs_Minutes_etc/EW_class
      _notes.htm

      (This URL looks folded to me. To use it, you need to paste it together.)

      It would be helpful to me to have reactions from people who took the class:
      * What was your experience or perspective regarding the issues that I talk
      about?
      * What else would you say?

      It would also be helpful to have reactions from people who did NOT take it:
      * To what extent do you see "insider" language or ideas that I'm not aware
      of?
      * What else would you want to know?

      Thanks in advance!

      John

      --*
      --* John D. Smith | 503.963.8229 | 2025 SE Elliott Ave., Portland OR
      97214-5339
      --* Tue eve 11 Apr 00:
      http://www.teleport.com/~smithjd/lern/IPN_CP_intro.html
      --* We participate, therefore we are... Therefore knowledge starts to
      happen.
      --* John Seely Brown
    • Fred Nickols
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2000
        John Smith wrote (I think it was John although I can't be sure because the
        e-mail was a little mixed up) -- (and I apologize for the repeat but I
        don't see any way around it):

        >>I'm putting together a panel discussion in a week to talk about virtual
        >>communities. Joe Cothrel (on this list) is one of the speakers and Richard
        >>Bittinger (who was in the Fall '99 class) is another. I'm going to talk
        >>about Etienne's class for 15 minutes. I'm asking for reactions to the draft
        >>handout that I've posted in our eGroup web site at:
        >>
        >>http://www.egroups.com/files/com-prac/Observations_Logs_Minutes_etc/EW_cla
        >>ss_notes.htm
        >>
        >>(This URL looks folded to me. To use it, you need to paste it together.)
        >>
        >>It would be helpful to me to have reactions from people who took the class:
        >>* What was your experience or perspective regarding the issues that I talk
        >>about?
        >>* What else would you say?
        >>
        >>It would also be helpful to have reactions from people who did NOT take it:
        >>* To what extent do you see "insider" language or ideas that I'm not aware
        >>of?
        >>* What else would you want to know?
        >>
        >>Thanks in advance!

        Well, I pasted together the link, went out, took a look, and here are my
        reactions:

        First off, a "class" or even a "community" does not a CoP make.

        Second, one page of bullet points for what appears to have been a
        fairly extensive training course doesn' t seem to me to do justice to the
        course.

        Third, where's the "practice"? CoPs seem to me to be organized
        around a practice of some kind. A group of people who share an interest in
        CoPs doesn't seem to me to constitute a CoP.

        Fourth, where's the "mission"? CoPs also seem to me to be up to
        something; they have a mission, a purpose, some (shades of Tom Peters and
        McKinsey & Co) "superordinate goal."

        I don't know what you were looking for, John, but those are my
        reactions. Don't know if they help or not but I sure hope you'll respond
        to them.

        The Distance Consulting Company
        "Assistance at A Distance"
        http://home.att.net/~nickols/distance.htm