Re: [cp] setting up a professional society

  • Hans-Peter Korn
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2002
      Hi Andy

      Andy Swarbrick wrote:

      > Doug's comment
      >
      > >> It's unfortunate that there isn't a professional society devoted to
      > CoP's that could organize a yearly conference. <<
      >
      > really made me think. Would it not be possible to set up such a society or
      > at least some kind of umbrella organisation to coordinate the work of CoP
      > practioners. I would guess that within the group their must enough
      > expertise and knowledge to support such a venture. I suppose what I am
      > wondering is, if there is sufficient interest.

      If there is need and interest to organize a conference in Europe I offer to
      help to set up elements and environments of a "playground" which is enspireing
      to share and create solutions how communities can work sussessful.

      Best regards

      Hans-Peter Korn

      >> Coaching for innovative Teams:
      --> http://www.korn.ch/team-process-modules

      Phone: +41 56 491 3341
      Natel & Combox: +41 79 461 3379
      Fax: +41 86079 461 3379
      Post: Turnweg 13 CH 5507 Mellingen
    • Hans-Peter Korn
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2002
        Querido Mario

        Mario Lopez de Avila Munoz wrote:

        > ...And for the conference... Is there any place like
        > Spain under the sun? :-D (it?s only a joke, folks)

        Yo hablo un poco Español solamente.... pero una locacion por la conferencia en
        España fue maravillosa ...
        ...sin broma!

        Recuerdos a tu
        Hans-Peter

      • matthew_simpson@us.ibm.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
          Actually,

          This online group was originally established by folks who were attending a
          conference in Coconut Grove, Florida, USA in which the Institute for
          International Research was convening a conference on communities of
          practice. All of the who's who in the field were there and/or presenting.

          Since then, I think there have been a few more of the IIR conferences.
          Also, I know that around John Smith (who facilitates this online forum a
          lot and tends to be center of gravity) & Etienne Wenger, there's a flurry
          of activity called "CP Squared" in which folks who focus on CoPs get
          together to learn ad study together - a consortium of CoP practitioners.

          However, this doesn't address the potential to create a not-for-profit
          society or association. A non-trivial issue would be the level of
          attention we can put to it.

          Regards, - Matt

          Matthew Simpson
          http://undertheoak.net/MatthewSimpson
        • chris macrae
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
            How large would the potential for such an Association be if, say, the
            memebership dues were 50 dollars a head per year?

            Then what sort of things would members want organised and where would we
            have enough members to have real meetings?

            Do we definitely need to be only CoP? Or anything that really cherishes
            community?

            Are there different grades of expertise among our members and how would we
            cope with the fact that people might mainly want to meet peers of equal
            expertise or above?

            Would it be a good idea to find an academic centre to incubate this if one
            were willing, or is it that COP is a subject where practice should always
            precede academic thought?

            Should we assemble a variety of questions like these and do a quantitative
            survey? Does anyone have the time and will to pull such work together?

            Are we not better off with an expert like John moderating this virtually?

            Did the person who started this thread have any serious idea on the
            drawbacks that seem to afflict many professional societies?

            chris macrae
            wcbn007@...

            > This online group was originally established by folks who were attending a
            > conference in Coconut Grove, Florida, USA in which the Institute for
            > International Research was convening a conference on communities of
            > practice. All of the who's who in the field were there and/or presenting.
            >
            > Since then, I think there have been a few more of the IIR conferences.
            > Also, I know that around John Smith (who facilitates this online forum a
            > lot and tends to be center of gravity) & Etienne Wenger, there's a flurry
            > of activity called "CP Squared" in which folks who focus on CoPs get
            > together to learn ad study together - a consortium of CoP practitioners.
            >
            > However, this doesn't address the potential to create a not-for-profit
            > society or association. A non-trivial issue would be the level of
            > attention we can put to it.
            >
            > Regards, - Matt
            >

            > Matthew Simpson
            > http://undertheoak.net/MatthewSimpson
            >

            > ::: http://www.egroups.com/group/com-prac

          • Hans-Peter Korn
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
              Hi Chris

              chris macrae wrote:

              > How large would ....

              > Then what sort of things would ...

              > Do we definitely need ...

              > Are there different grades of expertise...

              > Would it be a good idea.....

              > Should we assemble a variety of questions like these...

              > Does anyone have the time.....

              > Are we not better off with an expert like.....

              > Did the person who started this thread have any serious idea....

              Oh yes! All this are very important questions...... and I think we all can find
              much more important questions of the kind "Yes, BUT......"

              How will it be to find also ideas like "Yes !!! AND ....." ???

              Best regards
              Hans-Peter
            • Mario Lopez de Avila Munoz
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
                Hans, "I think this is the beginning of a beatiful friendship" :)

                You are right. Chris has made some good questions, and we?ll have to answer
                all of them sooner or later. But not now. Maybe one: I know - as all of
                you, I suppose - the wonderful Etienne?s project, the Consortium, and what
                I?m thinking now, talking about an "asociation" is not exactly the same.
                May be both iniatives will be necesary. And of course I?m not thinking in
                such a fee like Consortium?s :)

                My own models are organizations like the Project Management Institute
                (www.pmi.org) or the Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals
                (www.scip.org) but I?ll make use of all the references that we could bring
                to discussion, including Amnesty International :)

                At this moment, I?ll prefer to focus my attention in topics like "mission"
                (why an organization like this? what for? who for?) "vision" (what kind of
                organization will be? how "does it look like"?) and "values" (what is
                important to us? which are the principia/criteria we?ll use to make the hard
                decisions?).
                But I?m a management consultant and that?s the way we, consultants, think :D

                I can hardly express myself in english, so my contributions to the debate
                will be of little importance, because my handicap but I want to say that
                I?ll support this initiative with time and resources if enough people
                believe in it.

                And Brazil sounds good for me too :)

                Best regards,

                Mario