Columbia Univ. Small World Research Project update

  • Cynthia Typaldos
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2002

      Everyone,

      This is an incredibly interesting project and very much related to web communities.  I encourage all of you to participate. http://smallworld.sociology.columbia.edu

      I have 3 targets, 2 in progress and 1 finished already because the person I sent the email to actually knew the target person!  You can track
      the progress of getting to your target person on their web site.  It's really fun and interesting and only takes a few minutes to register.  Once
      you have registered you can sign up for as many targets as you have time for.  Sending out the email only takes a minute too so this is not a
      time-consuming process.

      My finished target was in NY state, the uncompleted ones are in the UK and India.

      Here's my "1 degree of separation" success for the NY state target as shown on their web site:

      Smallworld Message tracking

      Your target person is:
      Name: Steven Strogatz
      Currently lives in Ithaca, New York, USA
      Occupation: Professor at Cornell University (Applied Math)
      Education: Princeton University, Harvard University
      Previous employment: Applied Math Professor at Harvard and MIT

      EMAIL
      NO              EMAIL                           CITY            COUNTRY
      1               ...@... (YOU)   Saratoga      United States
      2               ...@...          Pasadena    United States
      3               TARGET                           Ithaca         United States

      Below my signature is the information on how to get started as a participant.  You can also sign up to be a target.

      Cynthia

      (this signature is in HTML format)

      uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
      Cynthia Typaldos w Typaldos Consulting w Services in…
      Interim CEO/COO w Software Marketing w
      Web Collaboration & Communities
      Founder, RealCommunities 1998 w Co-Founder GolfWeb 1995

      ct@... w 408 867-8875 (office) w408 828-1370 (cell)

      661 338-9807 (fax) w AIM: typaldos w Saratoga, CA 95070

      http://www.typaldos.com w Instructor: UC Berkeley Extension

      SMALL WORLD RESEARCH PROJECT - COLUMBIA UNIV. SOCIOLOGY DEPT.

      An interesting little game is underway, using e-mail to test a  sociological theory. The research team at Columbia University's  Sociology Department has established some people who are "targets" and invite anyone to send an e-mail that they hope will eventually find its
      way to the target.

      You register on their site and they send you the name and city of the target. You are supposed to forward the e-mail to someone you know  who you is closer to the target; they send it to the next person; and  so on until someone happens to know the target. For instance, I was  assigned a target in Ithaca and sent it to a buddy in New York. Rule  is that no one can look up or find the person they message -- they have to already know the person to whom they send the e-mail.

      So it's a test of the "Six Degrees of Separation" notion (or actually, of the older theory that spawned that more popular version of the theory).

      Participating takes minutes. Go to:
      http://smallworld.sociology.columbia.edu

      The email has been sent using the UC Berkeley Extension Web Communities course, Spring 99, official email list.  The sender of this email is solely responsible for the contents.

    • Cynthia Typaldos
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2002

        -----------------

        ----------------------

        Below my signature is the information on how to get started as a
        participant. You can also sign up to be a target.

        Cynthia
        *******
        Cynthia Typaldos | Typaldos Consulting | Services in…
        Interim CEO/COO | Software Marketing | Web Collaboration
        Founder, RealCommunities 1998 | Co-Founder GolfWeb 1995
        ct@... | 408 867-8875 (office) 828-1370 (cell)
        AIM: typaldos | 661 338-9807 (fax) | Saratoga, CA 95070
        Instructor: UC Berkeley Extension | www.typaldos.com
        Join my web communities mailing list at:
        Join my software product marketing mailing list at:

        Participating takes minutes. Go to: http://smallworld.sociology.columbia.edu