Update:Customised Com-Prac Social Network Analysis Tool

  • Swarby
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2002
      Dear All

      There have been a grwoing number of people signing and filling their
      details on the customised I-Know application I have set up for the
      Com-Prac group.

      There are some interesting patterns that are starting to emerge and I
      feel that I am gaing a greater understanding of part of the social
      and knowledge network which exists in the com-prac group.

      As new members join it important to keep revisiting the application
      to update you details. Partcularly your contact details, I have found
      this to be a downside to using this application that it needs to be
      constantly refreshed with new information.

      You can access the current customised test i-Know
      at

      http://pc246s.cs.york.ac.uk/test
      (Guest logon: Usernane/Password = guest/guest)
      Please feel free to set-up your own account, remebering to fill in
      details by clicking on , "Edit Contacts", "Edit Skills" etc

      Also could all those who logged on and created accounts but have not
      filled in their profile details please try to fill tehm in. If there
      is some problem preventing you from doing this please don't hestitate
      to contact me at swarby@....

      I have also have included much more background details on the project
      at my dedicated project website at:
      http://www.robotegg.com/projectsite.
      Also I have included a link below to the univeristy of ilinois
      orginal presentation of the value of knowledge network analysis.

      I'am looking to put togther an update version of the terms of
      reference for the project and partcipation guidlines shortly.

      I believe the I-Know is now at a stage where we can ask what other
      elements can we examine as being part of the social network.

      Do we want to look at interaction patterns accross geographic,
      instituational boundaries? Do we wnat to look more closely at support
      networks and those engaged in real collaborative work?

      Kind Regards

      Andy
      http://www.tec.spcomm.uiuc.edu/nosh/IKNOW/sld001.htm
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2002
        Andy,

        Now that there are some responses in your SNA tool, so that the
        program will prduce some actual statistics, it might be helpful to
        ahve some suggestions from you: what's worth looking at first? A help
        file on what the different choices mean wouldbe nice. And, finally,
        what might we DO as a result of what we're learning?

        John

        --*
        --* John D. Smith, 2025 SE Elliott Ave, Portland OR 97214
        --* http://home.teleport.com/~smithjd V: 503.963.8229
        --* "As iron sharpens iron, so one human sharpens another" -- Hebrew
        proverb
      • Andrew Swarbrick
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2002
          Dear All,

          I have produced a short document (9 pages, though the
          conversion to PDF seems to mess up the page
          numbering)highlighting a few of the features/options
          that available for analysing the knowledge network.

          I have written this in the form of a guide to using
          the analysis features of the package. I apologise for
          any miss spellings,but I have tried to get this out to
          you as quickly as possible.
          Any review comments can be sent directly to me.

          General comments about the application can come
          directly to me or through this group. Unless anyone
          objects to using the group in this way. I understand
          if people who may be not be interested in such aspects
          of communities practice feeling annoyed at the use of
          the group in this way.

          I am trying to make arrangements to integrate this
          work into the Yahoo! Group I have set up for my own
          academic project but I feel that doing it right now
          would lead to me being slightly over-run.

          I have tailored the web-site for my project to take
          account for this new Yahoo! Group Project and will be
          posting all the information I can onto there aswell
          http://www.robotegg.com/projectsite

          Kind Regards

          Andy Swarbrick

          Because the Document is 150K I though it best to have
          it accessible via link rather than clog up everyones
          inbox

          The Document can be found at
          http://www.robotegg.com/projectsite/documents/library.html
          and it is called "Using I-Know to Analyse the
          Knowledge Network"

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • Catherine Wadbrook
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2002
            Wow! Andy, this is really COOL! And who am I to be
            gushing so enthusiastically, some of you may be
            asking. Well, I introduced myself a while back and
            have been silent but reading avidly ever since....

            *brief pause while I rummage around in my sent folder*

            ahha, here it is from 10/28/01...(BTW, Andy, your
            "Using I-Know..." document is dated 2001 -- I assume
            you meant the palidrome year?? 2002) Anyway...

            *ahem*

            Hi!

            I just recently joined both community of practice
            lists and am sending this intro. out to both of them.
            I work at The University of Texas at Austin as a
            Research Associate for the Texas Center for Reading
            and Language Arts in the College of Education. I am
            also working on a doctorate in Instructional
            Technology in the Department of Curriculum and
            Instruction.

            My colleagues and I in the Online Professional
            Development Group are working to put our Teacher
            Reading Academies (research-based professional
            development for reading instruction for K-2 teachers
            in Texas) online. In addition to converting the
            Academy content, we will launch the pilot of a
            community of practice for reading educators with three
            school districts sometime next spring (we are
            beginning to conduct focus groups with teachers next
            month). I am very excited and inspired by the work and
            have been reading with keen interest the postings to
            this list. I beleive that the community of practice
            model can work quite well with educators in that a lot
            of the heirarchy that constrains organizational
            knowledge sharing in other areas can quickly be broken
            down (or this is my hope in any case). Any comments on
            the project, research-based or experiential, will be
            most appreciated -- especially if there are other
            educators out there!! *grin*

            I look forward to our discussions and collaborations
            -- nice to be here!

            best, catherine

            And so that's me...just an update: our roll out date
            for the pilot is 3/15, coinciding with our putting the
            first and second grade Academies online....Yikes!
            that's soon! (so you may be able to see why I've been
            so quiet). I-Know intrigues me as an evaluation tool
            (something I will be charged with over the summer...)

            One of the things I wanted to ask was: when Iw as
            looking at the "contacts" list and was trying to
            decide how to mark them (as you can see I became an
            "isolate") I began to wonder how we are defining
            "communicate with"?? Almost half of these names look
            very familiar to me from reading the postings to our
            group -- does that count as "communicate with"? Would
            it be useful to layer "communicative acts"? I have
            sent no one a direct e-mail and have received one from
            John Smith to my personal mailbox, but it seemed
            not-quite-right to check "never" beside the other
            names....what do you all think?

            glad to be back!
            catherine

            Catherine C. Wadbrook
            Research Associate
            Texas Center for Reading and Language Arts
            College of Education
            The University of Texas at Austin
            (512) 232-9480 (work)
            wadbrook@...
            http://www.texasreading.org

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2002
              Catherine Wadbrook [mailto:wadbrook@...] asks Thursday, January
              24, 2002 2:19 PM

              >One of the things I wanted to ask was: when Iw as
              >looking at the "contacts" list and was trying to
              >decide how to mark them (as you can see I became an
              >"isolate") I began to wonder how we are defining
              >"communicate with"?? Almost half of these names look
              >very familiar to me from reading the postings to our
              >group -- does that count as "communicate with"? Would
              >it be useful to layer "communicative acts"?

              Seems to me that the tool just by itself would not be very useful
              without these definitions and that the definitions would change
              according to the setting in which a community is engaged. I was
              wondering whether this would be something to play with in our
              workskhop on communities of practice and that made me think that
              defining the levels of engagement would be fundamental.

              John

              --*
            • drjmpirone@microdsi.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2002
                You might look at the number of postive and negative responses to a given
                post, and then create a concept of degree of resistance to the post.
                I suggest you go back to the Paul Pruett Denham Grey interactions.
                Thar's grain in them thar fields. Joseph
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 24, 2002