Re: [cp] Knowledge sharing in fire departments

  • douglas.rush@aventis.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2001
      I don't think it matters whether it's F2F or virtual - getting people
      to interact, around problem solving for example, can occur in both.
      We use teleconferences in a CoP with members in Europe and NA - this
      virtual community is starting to show some benefit as a result of
      knowledge sharing. One other point - it's not just about sharing what
      you know. It's important for people to seek help - to share what they
      don't know or are having problems/issues with.

      As to the survey - it's been put on hold till January - can revisit
      then.

      Doug

      --- In com-prac@y..., "chris macrae" <wcbn007@e...> wrote:
      > yes, BUT is this one of the main differences between knowledge
      sharing face
      > to face and knowledge-sharing virtually? or can you give me an
      example how
      > the knowledge emerges in virtual mode (except of course with things
      that are
      > directly software etc related)
      >
      > going back to your KM survey Douglas - is an interview sequence
      being
      > developed for both real and virtual modes?
      > chris macrae
      > wcbn007@e...

      Atkinson's 'Medical
      > > Talk and Medical Work', Seth Chaiklin with Jean
      > > Lave's 'Understanding Practice' and Yrjo Engestrom with David
      > > Middleton's 'Cognition and Communication at Work' provide some
      > > insights into how knowledge is produced, reproduced and shared
      > > through participation in a variety of work settings, not all of
      which
      > > deal with life and death. In much of this work the focus is on
      > > getting the job done rather than sharing knowledge, but the job
      can't
      > > be done without sharing knowledge. The sharing is a constituent
      part
      > > of getting the job done, but does not necessarily need to be the
      > > centre of attention. How much attention should we give to sharing
      > > knowledge where the CoP enterprise is centred on some other set of
      > > principles and objectives? A central part of the thinking about
      CoPs
      > > and legitimate peripheral participation is to decentre learning,
      > > including sharing knowledge, i.e. to shift the focus from
      learning as
      > > the enterprise to learning as an emergent aspect of participation.
      > > Bill
      > >
      > > Bill Fleming and Lesley Golding,
      > > Soundings Research, 41 Cotton's Meadow, Kingstone, Herefordshire
      HR2

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/