BOOK: Blood, sweat and Tears by Richard Donkin

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      Jim Palmer passed on a recommendation for this book, which I've gotten
      and started reading:

      Richard Donkin, Blood, Sweat and Tears (New York, NY: TEXERE, 2001).

      From the introduction:

      "The aim of this book is to examine, using a historical perspective,
      the evolution of work from the earliest times and the impact of great
      watersheds of development. It will look at early societies, slavery,
      the guilds, the creation of trade secrets,a nd the influence of
      religion on work, examing the humaist ideals of the great Quaker
      industrialists and the ideas of theoriests like F.W. Taylor, Max
      WEber, Elton Mayo, Pary Parker Follett, Peter Drucker and W. Edwards
      Demming; it will look at where we have been and where we are going.
      Finally it will suggest some ideas for adjusting our outlook on work
      and its role in our lives."

      Seems like important background to the discussions on this list.

      John

      --*
      --* John D. Smith, 2025 SE Elliott Ave, Portland OR 97214
      --* NEW URL: http://home.teleport.com/~smithjd V: 503.963.8229
      --* Fall '01 Online CoP Workshop starts Oct 15: www.ewenger.com/edu
      --* "With company you quicken your ascent." -- Rumi