PLEASE READ... My apologies... tuned out a hoax!!!

  • Casey Hughes
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 7:58 PM
      Oh well,

      Thank you Jack (and others) that corrected my well intentioned yet misguided email...

      The actual message is a hoax.  The SULFNBK.EXE is a valid part of Windows (helps take care of ultralargefilenameblocks).  So if you deleted it you may want to restore it from your Windows CD.
      http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html (This service is brought to you by the Symantec AntiVirus Research Center (SARC).)

      However, the rest of the story is that there is a worm out there that can attack by attaching itself to the SULFNBK.EXE program and then emailing itself.  So the rule is that if you get an email with an attachment of SULFNBK.EXE, delete it.

      As Jack Ring says, "Never (mis)take Know for an answer."

      I have vowed to check the regulated sites like McAfee before acting on these alerts in the future. For your reference here are a couple of virus hoax sites:

      On a positive note... this little exercise did help me clean out my email address file and connect with some I hadn't heard from... thank you all for your foregiveness and (those past friends) emails.

      My humble apologies to all,

      Casey Hughes
      KMunity, Inc. (say Community)
      casey@...
      www.kmunity.net
      V: 310-457-2146
      F: 310-457-1499
      C: 310-666-1711

      "The greatest resource of any community is the collective intellect, wisdom and creativity of its members."