SV: [cp] Etienne's report

  • Götze John
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2001
      Unlurking time ...

      I am an advisor to the Swedish government on governance issues, especially
      those kinds of issues that start with "e", as in eGovernance, eGovernment,
      eDemocracy, eCommunities, eCitizens. I am interested in how CoPs work in
      governmental and civil society settings. I have found Etiennes work very
      inspirational in my work, and can, BTW, recommend everyone to sign up for
      the online workshop Etienne and John D Smith runs.

      John D. Smith wrote, a while ago:
      > You might also be interested in a recent report that Etienne wrote on
      > technologies that support communities of practice, available as shareware
      at
      > his site:
      > http://www.ewenger.com/tech

      I have written a longer commentary to Etiennes report in my private weblog,
      www.gotzespace.dk.
      The commentary is at http://www.gotzespace.dk/weblog/info.cgi?ID=59

      Cheers,
      John Götze
      Statskontoret - Swedish Agency for Public Management
      Stockholm, Sweden
      www.statskontoret.se
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2001
        --- In com-prac@y..., Götze John <john.gotze@s...> wrote:

        > I have written a longer commentary to Etiennes report in my private
        weblog,
        > www.gotzespace.dk.
        > The commentary is at http://www.gotzespace.dk/weblog/info.cgi?ID=59

        John,

        Could you say more about the Blogger revolution that you talk about
        in your weblog? :-)

        I'm trying to understand whether you're proposing some new dimensions
        or whether you're saying that bloggers and P2P are really outside of
        the deminsions that Etienne proposed?

        It seems to me that to talk about any given community and any given
        platform we need to think about each of the four dimensions, which is
        not an easy thing to do. I'm trying to place Bloggers in a couple of
        dimensions and don't really know enough about them to feel confident
        that it's meaningful.

        Are Bloggers mainly knowledge bases, more than, say, discussion
        spaces?

        John

        --*
        --* John D. Smith, 503.963.8229, 2025 SE Elliott Ave, Portland OR
        97214-5339
        --* http://www.teleport.com/~smithjd ICQ: 72789757 cell: 503-975-7799
        --* Spring 2001 CoP workshop starts May 14:
        http://www.ewenger.com/edu/
        --* "With company you quicken your ascent." -- Rumi
      • Bronwyn Stuckey
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2001
          Hello Johns and all,
          Perhaps we don't 'Blog' in Australia or I am just dull - I have no
          knowledge of the term Blogger? Perhaps it is time to unpack this
          concept as I have no idea what this entity is and John Smith would
          like clarification of its shape and form?

          Can someone define, describe and give examples of Bloggers please.

          Otherwise I am left feeling quite Blogged ;-)

          Bronwyn

          > --- In com-prac@y..., Götze John <john.gotze@s...> wrote:
          >
          > > I have written a longer commentary to Etiennes report in my
          private
          > weblog,
          > > www.gotzespace.dk.
          > > The commentary is at
          http://www.gotzespace.dk/weblog/info.cgi?ID=59

          > John,
          >
          > Could you say more about the Blogger revolution that you talk about
          > in your weblog? :-)
          >
          > I'm trying to understand whether you're proposing some new
          dimensions
          > or whether you're saying that bloggers and P2P are really outside of

          > the deminsions that Etienne proposed?
          >
          > It seems to me that to talk about any given community and any given
          > platform we need to think about each of the four dimensions, which
          is
          > not an easy thing to do. I'm trying to place Bloggers in a couple
          of
          > dimensions and don't really know enough about them to feel confident

          > that it's meaningful.
          >
          > Are Bloggers mainly knowledge bases, more than, say, discussion
          > spaces?
          >
          > John
          >
          > --*
          > --* John D. Smith, 503.963.8229, 2025 SE Elliott Ave, Portland OR
          > 97214-5339
          > --* http://www.teleport.com/~smithjd ICQ: 72789757 cell:
          503-975-7799
          > --* Spring 2001 CoP workshop starts May 14:
          > http://www.ewenger.com/edu/
          > --* "With company you quicken your ascent." -- Rumi
          >

          > ::: http://www.egroups.com/group/com-prac

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Bronwyn Stuckey
          Faculty of Education
          University of Wollongong
          Wollongong, 2522
          AUSTRALIA'S UNIVERSITY OF THE YEAR
          2000-2001 Joint Winner-Preparing Graduates for the e-World
          1999-2000 Joint Winner-Outstanding R&D Partnerships
          ph: 02 4221 4905 (+612 4221 4905 International)
          mob: 0414 645500
          fax: 02 9589 1526 (+612 9589 1526 International)
          email: bronwyn_stuckey@....a
        • Bernard DeKoven
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2001
            Bronwyn asks:

            Can someone define, describe and give examples of Bloggers please.

            Bernard replies:

            A Blog is a technology that allows you to easily capture a URL, write a
            description of what interested you about it, and then publish that to the
            web. See, for example, Pyra http://www.pyra.com/blogger.asp

            Related technologies allow people to share their bookmark collection
            (annotated or not) (like http://www.tourbar.com/ and
            http://www.backflip.com/login.ihtml) - effectively creating a CoP centered
            on common interests (see, for example,
            http://www.backflip.com/dir_folders.ihtml?folder=9198562