I have now had the first session with moderators of cancer self care groups,
and had through this network a very fine helping hand from Kaye Vivian, New
She offered me guidelines for new and inexperienced moderators, guidelines I
to some extent could use, rewriting for the specific group.
I would like to add, that guidelines for people stuck by life threatening
diseases should contain something about
- Anonymity and the use of pseudonyms ( on one hand they would like to be
identifiable, but on the other hand they would like to be anonymous)
- the use of photos or other graphics to identify (same dilemma)
- what to do when someone in the community leaves without explanation (
someone might leave because he/she has been cured/survived, but when leaving
without explanation the community might believe he or she died and get
- what to do when someone in the community dies ( what about relatives, who
knows that a support group has been helpful but cannot access the community?
What to do - or not do! - in memorizing a member. What is appropriate, and
what is the most encouraging step to take - talking about survivors or
talking about dead members?
Interesting dilemmas with no easy answers.
mob: 2425 4852
Fra: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] På vegne af
Sendt: 17. november 2010 07:07
Emne: [cp] Looking for guidelines for moderators at cancer self care groups
I am looking for guidelines for moderators of communities for cancer
patients or moderators of other groups of people struck by life threathening
I am helping an organisation to build guidelines for their moderators who
all of them are cancer patients themselves.
Some of the dilemmas are
- how visible should the moderator be without dominating
- good ideas to pull or push information ore other sort of inputs to enhance
- how do you handle people who only want to tell about themselves all the
time, not listening
- how do you get activities into groups with patients with a very rare
diagnosis (not enough critical mass to have good discussions)
- Boundaries between talk an counselling - how to avoid being expert at the
same time as patient your self
- how do you build trust when you don't meet physically.
I have looked in older postings, and found interesting things on trust
building, but I still need some help on moderation self caring groups.
*-- The email forum on communities of practice --*Yahoo! Groups Links
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.869 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3258 - Release Date: 11/16/10