8130Re: [cp] Researching Inside Communities of Practice

  • Roy Greenhalgh
    Mar 4, 2009
      Trevor wrote “one of the original reviewers had asked me to explicitly
      identify limitations in the research, and in particular any bias that
      might be in the study....”

      Trevor

      This is a hard one.

      You are being asked here to explore two things: “limitations in research
      (method)” and possible bias.

      You don’t mention how you have tackled limitations in the method. So I
      will assume that you have.

      So to bias. You don’t state your method – qualitative, quantitative ..
      or mixed. To me the risk arises in a qualitative method from the stance
      taken by the interviewer. So are you a fan of CoPs? If so .. did this
      show in your question structure, and perhaps in any comments you made as
      the interview progressed? From where did your sample originate, and how
      was it selected?

      I disagree with your claim that”.. that any research conducted of
      members of a community of practice will tend to show that they have
      passion for what the community of practice is about “. Not all CoPs are
      like that. Some are hardly recognised by its members. Did ALL of the
      respondents glow in the dark about the attributes of the CoP? Were
      there no negatively critical comments? Hadn’t the CoP failed in some
      respect?

      Perhaps digging into the data and analysing aspects related to
      homogeneity of the group may be a pointed. Were all members equally
      passionate: what would a 5 point Likert scale show? Are they all
      equally willing to share – equally engaged? I would doubt it having a
      good few years of human experience to call upon.

      Stratify your data, and get to levels of micro analysis. You might find
      something to balance out what is claimed to be bias

      Best wishes from one about to start the data collection

      Roy Greenhalgh
      MPhil/PhD Research Student
      School of Social Sciences
      University of Southampton
      Highfield
      Southampton
      SO17 1BJ

      Email: rg1o07@...
      Phone: 07976 881013

      PS. I would appreciate a copy of your paper on completion. CoPs form a
      major approach in my thesis.