8123An invitation to use (and contribute to) the CPsquare wiki

    Mar 2, 2009
      What are the intentional or accidental collaborative possibilities of a
      public-facing wiki for CPsquare?

      One of my motives behind setting up a wiki for CPsquare that’s outside Web
      Crossing is that I think it’s high time for the CPsquare community to share
      more of what it learns in its internal convesations and conferences. In
      COM-PRAC we could criticize ourselves for having great open-ended
      conversations that never get summarized (see this great example from last
      July: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-prac/message/7930 ). Wikis seem to
      be a natural tool for that purpose because they lend themselves to sharing
      the workload and accumulating the pearls. Look at what KM4dev has
      accomplished: http://www.km4dev.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Allpages !

      An example of sharing what we learned that was itself a real learning
      process was how Sue Wolff led an innovative effort to report on the “Long
      Life the Platform” Conference about a year ago. During the conference we
      tried to gather comments in a Web Crossing wiki, but did not get many
      contributions. Then Sue set up a SurveyMonkey questionnaire to get
      additional comments (by allowing people to append a comment to a page). She
      then summarized and compressed the whole thing here:

      I was impressed at the recent Recent Changes Camp how ingrained the whole
      idea of “reporting out via the conference wiki” can be for a wiki-oriented

      As an experiment I’ve put together a different kind of report (aiming for
      the easiest possible but still useful report that we might publish as a
      minimum) on our public Wiki:

      (It demonstrates the use of a screen-capture and of an RSS feed Widget, by
      the way.)

      Also, I’m proposing that we put ALL CPsquare help files out in public —
      often they’re most needed when you can’t get “inside” or are lost…

      http://cpsquare.org/wiki/Category:Members_Help (This obviously has a long
      way to go, but, as Ward Cunningham said recently, “For a community,
      ‘incomplete’ is good news!”)

      I’ve added a widget extension, so that we can include slides, videos, and
      RSS feeds in CPquare’s wiki. Just to demonstrate the use of the video
      widget, I’ve inserted some of those CommonCraft videos in these articles:

      * http://cpsquare.org/wiki/Blogging_tools
      * http://cpsquare.org/wiki/Wiki_tools
      * http://cpsquare.org/wiki/RSS
      * http://cpsquare.org/wiki/Microblogs

      I would like YOU to request an account on our wiki:
      http://cpsquare.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount . (It’s set up to require
      people to identify themselves in advance so that we won’t have a
      SPAM-removal burden later on.)

      * “Your responsibility does not end with complaining. Suggest something
      better!” — Esther Dyson
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic