8105RE: [cp] Forums & KM: What CoP's Should Do to Manage Discussion-Produced Knowledge

  • Loader, Matt
    Jan 29, 2009
      To capture the ‘know-who’ could I propose integrating a social network analysis tool (or the visualization element anyway) with the forum / wiki? This would be ‘signed in to’ by all forum participants as they join….

      Matt Loader

      ローダー・マッシュー

      Technology Communications (NTCE)

      ____________________

      Nissan Technical Centre Europe

      Cranfield Technology Park

      Bedfordshire MK43 0DB

      United Kingdom

      Tel: 01234 755083

      Fax: 01234 755799

      Mobile: 07816988950

      email: matt.loader@... <mailto:matt.loader@...>

      From: Cornejo Castro, Miguel <miguel.cornejo@... <mailto:miguel.cornejo%40tecnocom.es> <mailto:miguel.cornejo%40tecnocom.es>>
      To: "com-prac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:com-prac%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:com-prac%40yahoogroups.com>" <com-prac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:com-prac%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:com-prac%40yahoogroups.com>>
      Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 8:33 PM

      Hi Amy,

      getting people to document at the end of a discussion has always been an uphill struggle. It means collecting, filtering, polishing and publishing the results... and that can be very tedious and time consuming. Not to mention technically complicated.

      Since I operate some forums and tend to "harvest" them for guides, articles, and other objects, I've been on the lookout for any solution to minimize the hassle. Not finding any, this last month I've finally implemented a custom-built piece of software that enables the (authorised) user to select the interesting messages within a thread, dump them to the editing environment with a single click, tweak to their heart's desire, and then publish with another click; the system automatically creates the cross-link from the article to the thread and viceversa (for additional comments). No authorisation or login issues, no copy-pasting, no different files. Trials went very well and now we're in real use. Which means some people are using it, so it's working.

      Of course that's not the whole solution nor will solve the issue of archives. But it's a start.

      PS - If you happen to use Invision forums and Joomla CMS, and happen to like the idea, let me know :-).