8101RE: [cp] Forums & KM: What CoP's Should Do to Manage Discussion-Produced Knowledge

  • Steve Glovinsky
    Jan 28, 2009
      Hi Nancy,

      Steve Glovinsky here, with some elaboration/clarification on your reference
      to the United Nation's Solution Exchange (I set it up). First, Solution
      Exchange was very deliberately designed to capture experiential knowledge of
      members of Communities of Practice - we organize members in e-mail
      mailgroups around development topics - work & employment, governance, food &
      nutrition, maternal & child health etc., in support of the Millennium
      Developmen Goals. Our business model combines a CoP with a research
      service, anchored within a UN-sponsored space to give it the impartiality
      that ensures we have the widest range of member perspectives. Members come
      from government, NGOs, research institutes and academia, donors and private
      sector. Each Community - the ones in India are now up around 2-3,000
      members - has one full-time Community facilitator supported by a Research
      Associate. It works quite well as a new role for UN Agencies in the
      countries they work in. The idea of organizing CoPs and putting them to
      work helping each other out has been well received by development
      professionals, and so far we have expanded from India to Bhutan, Thailand
      and Indonesia (Aceh). The main product or our research service is the
      "Consolidated Reply" - a template that synthesizes discussion threads in the
      form of an executive brief and captures the experiences and references
      offered by participants. Our aim is to get all Solution Exchanges using the
      same template so that they can be indexed in a common repository (we are
      currently building) and shared across countries.

      Now, I know our facilitation teams are mostly women and not particularly
      well-paid, but I would not exactly call them "low income women"...

      Steve