8099RE: [cp] Forums & KM: What CoP's Should Do to Manage Discussion-Produced Knowledge

  • Nancy White
    Jan 28, 2009
      Great discussion

      Maybe it is useful to separate the value of archives and the
      community's sense of attachment to/owner ship of the archives -- even
      if they are never used.

      I suspect that only a small percentage of the members (over time)
      would actually use the archives. But because they hold the words of
      members, there may be both individual and collective sense of
      ownership that have little to do with "utility."

      How would they feel if there had simply been a technical catastrophe
      and the archives disappeared? Would the quality and quantity of the
      response be similar or different? Is it that someone (the current
      list owners) took the decision and they had no say in it?

      I don't think we can underestimate the role of emotions as well as
      intellect in communities. ;-)

      That said, think of all the electronic garbage floating around and
      that one of the biggest barriers to knowledge sharing is the
      complaint that "i don't have enough time and there is too much out
      there and not all of it has value to me."

      Damned if you do, damned if you dont!

      At 10:37 AM 1/28/2009, you wrote:
      >Bottom line: it's a BAD idea to throw away archives.
      >ON THE OTHER HAND: CPsquare discussions have been kept for years and years
      >and so when new poeple join I shake my head and worry that they'll
      >absolutely CHOKE at the volume and complexity. Just don't know.

      Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
      nancyw@... | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT - 8 |skype - choconancy |
      Twitter NancyWhite
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic