Re: CYOA - Furler and Spinnaker for Columbia 23

  • jean somerhausen`
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
      It's a furler that uses a plastic extrusion and is especially designed
      for smaller boatds (;s than 28 ft LOA)
      jean

    • sgaber@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
        Eric:

        Oh, yes, I've had plenty of fun racing with spinnakes. Lots of fun.

        But then we had a crew of 6 ot 7. Sailing with just my wife and me, maybe her sisters, with a standard spinnaker?

        I can tell you that would not be fun.

        Going to work again. (sigh)

        Steve Gaber
        Sanderling, 1967 C-31 #77
        Oldsmar, FL

        --
      • Eric White
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
          Ahh, I see your point. When just Jackie and I are on board I make it
          a point never to put up more than five sails. That got us up over 3 kts.

        • sgaber@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
            For such conditions, I have a Doyle Universal Power Sail, which can be used variously as a asymmetrical (pole-less) spinnaker, drifter/reacher or light-air genoa. Wind range is under about 10 kts. If there's any wind at all, this sail will find it.

            It also has its own little furler and tacking is easier than jibing with a spinnaker.

            But then again, I'm not likely to get Karen out on the boat in such conditions. I have used it 3-4 times and it moves the boat when nothing else will (except the little red machine).