Re: CYOA - Re: Bought a Columbia But am missing a boom.

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 20 , May 31, 2008
      None of the Dwyer extrusions are close?

      http://www.dwyermast.com/families.asp?cat1ID=30&cat1Name=Booms

      It doesn't have to be exact, I would think one of those is close and
      they have the fittings for the end. A 12' stock piece would be about the
      length you need..
      Wouldn't hurt to check exactly how long your main is, the 26 II E
      measurement is only 6" shorter than a Contender.

      HJ

    • aydod@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
        HI, i sent you an email the other day about the columbia 26 boom that I have but it appears you have forgotten about it. I have a gentle man that is looking at the package (Mast and boom) but if he does not want it the boom is available if you want it.. All you need is the make a donation to the Leukemia SOciety (I would suggest 50.00) and it is yours. The boom is located at Washington Sailing Marina in Alexandria.... If I am correct you are down in the Rappahanock river area. I can meet you halfway in F'Berg if you would like to pick it up. Let me know what you would like to do. Patrick 703 730 2759

        From: "tchiffriller" <tchiffriller@...>
        > Well then I guess I am lucky. The contender also seems to have a
        > huge amount of cabin space for its size. The cockpit is also pretty
        > big. I fell asleep in it last night looking at the stars.
        >
        > I have axhausted all of my possibilities finding a boom or boom
        > stock. Andy Whiley had the right size but wanted about as much as a
        > new one. And every where else I went was either too big or too
        > small. It is too bad the C-26mkII booms are too short because I have
        > easy access to a decrepid C-26mkII. So me and my grandfather are
        > going to make one with two 2 by 4s and a piece of pvc pipe, and then
        > shape it to size.
        >
        > "Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never
        > left port, and the other was an atrocious liar."
        >
        > Don Bramford
        >
        > ^^ That may sound familiar.
        >

        > Thank you,
        > Tommy
        >

        > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Kbjmjrb@... wrote:
        > >
        > > If you must get running aground out of your system, it is hard to
        > find a
        > > better boat to use than one of the Columbia 24's, (Challenger,
        > Contender, 24).
        > > They are over built, the rudder blade is well protected, they have
        > a shallow
        > > enough draft to use a spinnaker pole to push off, (or just get off
        > and push), and
        > > wide enough compared to draft that healing them over actually may
        > help.
        > > Center boards are OK but the board can get bent or come up and
        > then drop and break
        > > the cable. Never hit anything but very soft water if you have a
        > winged keel.
        > >

        > > Bruce K
        > > Challenger # 74, "Ouroboros"
        > > Los Lunas, NM
        > >

        > > > Sthephen - you wrote: "I later learned there are three..."(types
        > of
        > > > sailers)
        > > > I thot i was about to read that you had learned there were 3
        > feet
        > > > below the waterline, and you only know how to walk on the bottom
        > with
        > > > 2...the muddy bottom of the CB is forgiving, if ever
        > > > changing...unlike rocks, eh?
        > > > ~pete

      • wilmillert26
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
          Tommy,

          I have a boom from a Columbia 26 that you can have if nothing else
          works out for you. I'm in the Melbourne, Fl area so not very close to
          you. You'd have to figure out how to get it shipped your way.

          Wil

          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "tchiffriller"