Cockpit Drain Hose Survey

  • Darrell Powell-Ford
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
      I need to replace all 33 feet of 1 1/2 cockpit drain hose from the cockpit down to the thru-hulls. I was wondering if anyone has done this project, what you used and the long term results of you decision?

      I originally thought I would go with the white sanitation hose, being an 'improvement' on the radiator hose that was used some time ago. After being unable to get a seal on the fittings and splitting a couple of pieces I am rethinking that decision. I am trying to avoid buying wet exhaust hose if I don't have too, so I am hoping that there is a better proven alternative.

      Darrell Ford
      Coronado 45 "Rubber Duckies"
      Pittsburg, CA

    • Jim Lussier
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
        What cockpit drains? I looked; I have none on my boat. My boat has a flat
        deck to the world.

        Jim & Chong Lussier
        SV DAWN TREADER
        1973/4 Hull #201
        Columbia-Sailcrafter 45

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
          Jim,
          Darrell doesn't have a "normal" 45 like you & I have; his is a
          Coronado. They went & did all kind of funny things with the
          Coronado's, like not putting any big salon windows in it ( just a
          whole lot of itty bitty portholes along the cabin sides ( I think
          there are 12 of em ), the companionway wasn't even in the middle of
          the boat ( it's off on the left side so if you want to go below, it's
          safer to do it on a starboard tack, they sunk the cockpit down into
          the aft deck which splains the 33 1/2 feet of cockpit drain hoses.(
          where the heck do they drain to ? --the bow anchor locker ? ) Even
          seems that owners of them give them wierd names like " Rubber
          Duckies"; not bold, proud sofisticated names like "Dawn Treader",
          "Zuna Vida ", "Dreamaker"," Just Imagine","Total Eclipse", or of
          course "Compadre".
          Darrell, I'm just pullin yer string. Ha Ha. ( that was fun)
          Doug Ward

          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Lussier"

        • sgaber@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
            Doug:

            Just Imagine? I can't imagine where 33 feet of cockpit drain hose would lead.

            I remember a book of short stories by Frederick Brown called "Honeymoon in Hell." One of the stories, only one page long, I think on the last page, was entitled "Just Imagine." A very strange and wonderful book, now sadly out of print. After two years of searching, Bookfinder has yet to locate a copy. Mine disintegrated long ago.

            Steve Gaber
            Sanderling, 1967 C-31 #77
            Oldsmar, FL

          • Jim Lussier
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
              Somewhere I overlooked the Coronado thing. I thought his was a Columbia.
              Actually, mine isn’t a Columbia either, but that would just be getting too
              nitpicky.

              Jim & Chong Lussier
              SV DAWN TREADER
              1973/4 Hull #201
              Columbia-Sailcrafter 45

[...]

              <mailto:columbiasailingyachts%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jim Lussier"
              <lookoutnw@...> wrote:

              > What cockpit drains? I looked; I have none on my boat. My boat has
              a flat
              > deck to the world.
              >

              > Jim & Chong Lussier
              > SV DAWN TREADER
              > 1973/4 Hull #201
              > Columbia-Sailcrafter 45

              <mailto:columbiasailingyachts%40yahoogroups.com> ]On Sent: Monday,
              December 03,

            • SailingDad@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                Hey, at least my altimeter(sp?) reads close to sea level ;-). The boat originally had 3 drains, 2 in the aft that T'd into a a single line and the 3rd that was a single line run to 2 thru-hulls about 2 feet behind the engine under my aft berth. I have added a 4th that T's with single run. We are going to add 2 large drains in the aft end that discharge above the water line. I believe that the engines are in the same location, if anything mine are farther aft. I am working on a website to document all the work, when I am finished I'll post it so y'all can see what Coronado did with the 45 hull.

                Darrell Ford

              • SailingDad@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Jim, do you have any photos of yours posted anywhere?

                  Darrell

                • lookoutnw@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                    I have seen on a few �bucket cockpits� a large tube with an angle down to above the water line for maximum bailing. Looked like a great idea to me, if I had a bucket cockpit.
                    PICS? I got cd's worth... Mailing address? There are too many to send over the net, unless you want something specifically.

                    --
                    Jim & Chong Lussier
                    73/74 Columbia / SailCrafter 45

                  • neil smith
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                      Doug, et. al.,
                      I'm a little confused, in that I don't have any cockpit drains, per se. I do have scuppers on each toe rail that were manufactured into the boat, and additionally, I drilled 1" holes on each side of the aft section of toe rail at a slight downward angle, inserted 1" thin wall pvc and fiberglassed the pvc in place. That solved the minimal "puddling" during heavy rainfall. But as far as actual cockpit drains, there are none on "Just Imagine...". Did the PO of this vessel abscond with my precious drains before he sold me the boat? Inquiring minds need to know.
                      Neil

                    • SailingDad@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 4, 2007
                        Hey Neil, the only similarities between our boats is the hull and the Perkins (if you still have yours). Everything else is different. Coronado took the mold and created a new liner/deck that is a traditional aft cockpit, long cabin trunk model. I just added 2 photos to the Album:
                        I hope this clears this up. Your welcome to come out and take a look first hand.

                        Darrell