Fuzzy Green Wiring

  • Al Becker
    Message 1 of 53 , Apr 25 7:26 AM
      My finger was poised on the delete button when reviewing my 60+ E-Mail
      messages the other day. I had read a post from someone who was using
      "Extension Cords" as boat wiring.

      STOP--STOP--STOP You will be doing the job again in less than 1 year,
      Your lights will not light when you need them, and your bilge pump will
      not pump when you need it to pump.

      I tried this "shortcut" and have learned from my mistake. In simple
      terms, the "Marine" cable is tinned with silver to prevent the copper
      from reacting with the salt air environment, the extension cord has none
      of this protection, and the wires will turn into pretty green dust.
      Most of the Home Depot stores (I work there!) now stock a full line of
      the ancor wiring for about 2/3 the price of the west marine stores, so
      there is a bit of savings available, the other option that I have
      utilized is the marine surplus store, I have bought full rolls of ancor
      cable for lots less than full retail.

      Unless you like to re-wire the boat, or are planning a full overhaul in
      the next six months and are just doing a quick short-term fix, the
      extension cord idea is a bad one

      Been there Done (and re-done) that

      Al Becker
      66 Contender 24
      "Lisa Marie"
      Venice Florida
    • cjecje1
      Message 53 of 53 , Jun 21, 2014
        I used to have a stash of both red and white lead but it's all gone now. I do have a bunch of chlorodane and 5 lbs of mercury in a lab jar. <g>

        stephen

        Heck no! Banned along with carbon tet and chloroform, all common stuff in any broom closet in the 50's. I think my dad may still have a pint can white lead somewhere.