Re: CYOA - Re: Keels and stuff

  • Jim Mountford
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2000
      Since its on a trailer, drill some exploritory holes with a large drill,
      part so you can get a peek inside, the other is to see what comes out. You
      can fill those holes up with marine tex when you done. You may not have a
      problem, but if you do here is another suggestion. If you keel is water
      logged you could drill some larger holes, large enough to put a shop vacume
      hose in, and then suck or push air through it for a week or so. I've seen
      marine yards do just what I am talking about, air circulating through it
      will dry it out. In the mean time, find out why water is in there. And get
      someone smaller to do the dirty you can't do.

      The lead is inert, that is it won't rust or discolor, iron of course will.

      Sailingjim

      On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:47:56 -0700, columbiasailingyachts@egroups.com wrote:

      > Yes the sabre is internally ballasted.. As far as I can tell, the forward
      two thirds of the
      > fin, is where the ballast is supposed to be, the back third of the fin
      is the sump. Im
      > going to take some pictures over the next week and post them since its
      hard to describe what
      > I am seeing with out them. The entire fin, about four inches from the
      bottom on the outside,
      > is discolored, I believe this to be a rust stain. There are 2 or3 inches
      of standing water
      > in the sump now. The keel has a very very hollow sound.. Im not sure if
      there are keel
      > bolts. And if there where, I have no idea how one could inspect them.
      This boat has been
      > sitting for 3 or more years on a trailer. and has not been in the water.
      The fin is sealed
      > at the top If I pull the floor boards there is no way of seeing down into
      the keel..The only
      > thing I can see are lifting eyes.(?) which are very rusted. There is a
      small hatch just
      > under the companion way, ( this is the only place one can look down into
      the fin) Someone
      > had placed a board over the sump area and put the main battery on top of
      it. I had to drill
      > the rusted screw heads off to get the board out. Its very confined space
      and really hard
      > for a big guy like me to get in ( I actually got stuck) Im sure this area
      ( the back third
      > of the fin) was supposed to be the sump.
      > I have been told that this ballast was not cast lead, Supposedly, it was
      made in a sand
      > cast out of FG resin and lead shot. The boat was then built on top of the
      keel. I live in
      > Az and its very dry and hot here.
      > I don't understand where the water in the bottom of the sump came from
      or why it is still
      > there. The prior owners were using a fish tank pump as a bilge pump. They
      had it mounted
      > just under the forward bunk. this means the back of the keel would have
      filled up long
      > before water ever got to the pump. I don't think they knew this was
      happening. The Keel
      > doesn't seem to have any soft spots, its just very very hollow sounding.
      Any Suggestions?

      columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

      > Save up to 75% on watches, knives, gifts and more with FREE Shipping
      > and a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee at screaminghotdeals.com

      > --
      http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=columbiasailingyachts&m=1

      Jim Mountford
      "Chelsea Too" Columbia 24 1965 hull #212
      see the specs at:
      http://www.columbia-yachts.com/c-24.html
      or the Home of the Columbia Yacht Owners Association
      http://www.columbia-yachts.com/

      Also go to:
      http://www.latitude38.com/
      The best Sailing Rag in the world

      Download:
      http://www.copernic.com
      The best search utility bar none...
      and its FREE!!

      San Francisco, California, USA
      mailto:sailingjim@...

    • Eric White
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2000
        Hi Eric.

        I'm pretty sure that on the full keel boats they laid up the
        hulls and then dropped the ballast in, so there would be no
        keel bolts. They glassed over the top of the forward part
        of the keel to seal off the ballast. The back third is,
        indeed, a sump (the bilge) and should be sealed from the
        part of the keel with the ballast.

        My C-24 was constructed the same way. I cut a piece of
        plywood so that it just fit in the bottom of the bilge. I
        then attached a bilge pump and a float switch to it. I
        attached a fairly stiff hose to the pump and installed a
        check valve in the hose just above the pump. This stiff
        hose was sufficient to keep the board, pump, and switch from
        floating up.

        If you can't get such an assembly down in the bilge, see if
        any of the bilge pumps on the market will suck the water up
        the 2 or three feet to where you can mount the pump. If so,
        you can then stick a hose (or maybe pvc tubing) down in the
        bilge and pump it out.

        Pump out the bilge and see if water seeps in from the
        ballast area of the keel. If so, you can keep pumping it
        out until it stops seeping in. If you feel good about your
        fiberglassing skills, you can drill a hole in the keel,
        drain the water, and seal the hole. Once you have the bilge
        dry you can assess the situation.

        Eric White
        "Pelago" Columbia 40, #10

        Columbia Yacht Owners Association website