RE: CYOA - going to look at a C-34

  • Fellows, Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2002
      Well Paul:

      I did surf on over to take a look at the salvageboats site, and what you are
      looking at is a 1971 Columbia MKII. This appears to be a distress sale, and
      while the price is near the bottom of what one might expect, it's a fact
      that many Columbia's this size and model sell even lower.

      Why? Well there are a lot of used sailboats out there. Most of them are of
      a more garden variety. Some are time-tested designs and some were just
      "factory" re-makes of someone else's good idea. But this leaves a lot of
      boats to look at which means that if someone wants to sell a boat quickly
      that price comes down.

      Some obvious points:
      You'll want to hire a surveyor before making your decision. At this
      size and price it's just plain common sense to hire your own survey. At the
      least it will give you a list of fixes and upgrades that you'll want to
      undertake. At the worst, it will keep you from having your own "distress"
      sale later.

      You'll know when you see her if she's a match. This boat was
      designed by William Tripp, and stands out in a crowd. There are a bunch (as
      you know if you looked through the owners registry) of C-34 MKII's already
      registered with CYOA. The space below is awesome, and the owners we've
      heard from are avid fans. I put a bid on a C-34MKII at a distress sale five
      years ago and lost out to another bidder. She did not appear to be as fine
      as the boat you'll be looking at and would have needed considerable cosmetic
      work. But that's doable, and that sweat equity is why many sailors are able
      to get out on the water in boats that are good designs, capable craft and
      still "Good Old Boats".

      You'll likely hear from some owners, you can check the "boatcheck" section
      of Sailnet.com for reviews, and if you like what you see, get back to this
      list with specific questions -- there's a lot of really good advice on this
      list.

      By the way, with the number of boats registered, we (Columbia Yacht Owners
      Association) may be one of the larger Associations of craft from a
      non-manufacturing line. I am the editor of C-Nuz, a quarterly publication
      for owners, we talk to each other on this and a mail list at Sailnet, we
      gather at boat shows four or five times a year in various spots (Michigan,
      Southern Cal, Chesapeake, and Florida recently)across the country.

      Our boats are some of the most solidly built, best designed, underrated in
      the world.

      Let us know how you fare.

      MFellows
      C-Nuz editor
      C-33 Fantail "owner/rennovator"

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2002
        Paul,

        Delaminated deck, keel bolts, and tabbing were the worst problems on my
        C-34MKII.

        Another problem I’ve found is the electrical panels. They really need to
        be overhauled with a main breaker switch as well as some rewiring.

        One thing to remember, it’s an old boat. Which means, if something is
        working now……don’t count on it working tomorrow ;<)

        Seems like every time I take mine out for a hard sail; I break
        something. Usually not anything major but always something. Now I gotta
        replace the fuel filter. Year old diesel ya know ;<)

        Pack Stith

        HYPERLINK "http://boats.packent.com/"Shadow Chaser

        C-34MKII

        I've been looking to buy a boat with my father since last fall. We
        had been mostly focusing on Bristols, but recently we have been
        expanding our range. After reading a recent issue of Good Old Boat,
        we are starting to explore the possibities of getting a Columbia.
        One of my concerns is an active owners group for support. I been
        searching the net, but finding relatively little information about
        the Columbia's (yes, I did see HYPERLINK
        "http://www.columbia-yachts.com)."http://www.columbia-yachts.com).

        Okay getting to my question. I'm thinking about taking a look at a
        C-34 that's in Rhode Island (I'm on Long Island). I found the boat
        on yachtworld.com, but then saw it on yachtsalvage.com, which makes
        me a little nervous. It listed as a distress sale, but I'm still a
        little weary. Does anyone know about this boat? Also what are
        trouble spots on these boats, that I should look out for?

        Thanks for your help in advance!

        Paul Moffitt

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        HYPERLINK
        "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2028952.3504245.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        065791:HM/A=1061772/R=2/id=noscript/*http:/www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/7
        428/211/2458684356"

        HYPERLINK
        "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/1-/flash/misc/fam_lrec_groupsmail_0
        429.gif"

        HYPERLINK
        "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=225940.2028952.3504245.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=1705065791:HM/A=1061772/rand=919066326"

        Columbia Yacht Owners Association:

        Home: HYPERLINK
        "http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/"http://www.egroups.
        com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

        To Subscribe, send a message to:
        columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the HYPERLINK

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---
      • Smith, David M
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2002
          Paul,

          I wrote an article on the MKII C34 for the Columbia newsletter that Mike Fellows was describing.

          I posted it to the FAQ folder in the files area. I saved it as a Microsoft Word document. If you can't read it let me know and I'll send it to you in whatever format you want.

          Here is a link to the folder:

          Good Luck,

          Dave Smith
          (former C34 owner, current C45 owner)
          San Diego Ca

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1 4:38 AM
            Good morning Paul,

            I own a Columbia 34-MKII (Tripp)1972.
            I bought mine from a fellow in Warwick, RI.
            I did much research before settling on a Columbia.
            They are pretty much like what Mike Fellows says they are.
            I have been very happy with mine.
            CONDOR is located in New London.
            If I can be of help....

            George