Re: CYOA - Blisters on C26 MK II

  • dllbjl@home.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2001
      -
      My 1971 26mk2 had (1)one blister... dry. Had it ground out and
      reglassed. The seller would not pay for a haul or share the cost of
      survey.... good reason. I am glad that I had the survey done and we
      hauled the boat. The rudder was bent and damaged and the keel had
      numerous barrier coat blisters. I had the rudder shaft straightened
      and the blade repaired. That rudder knocked $1,000 off the selling
      price of the boat! We did a quick fix on the keel by grinding out
      the worst of the blisters, reefing out the hull to keel joint,
      recaulked, epoxy filled and faired, refaired the ground out blisters
      and re-barrier coated.... I will need to take the keel down
      completely to bare iron in one more year and templet the thing.

      Advice... have the boat hauled and a survey done. Checking for the
      things that Jay mentioned is very important.

      Good luck!

      Dennis Lancaster 26MK2 "Legacy"
      Bellingham, Wash.

      -- In columbiasailingyachts@y..., jsfarquharson@m... wrote:

      > My 1976 hull had blisters. About 24 per side, the largest was 1/4"
      in diameter,
      > and all were dry. I suspect that they were the result of just a bad
      bond in
      > places between the gelcoat and the fiberglass.
      >
      > If you are worried, slap on a coat of epoxy barrier coat when you
      haul to do a
      > bottom job.
      >
      > Personally, I'm not worried about my hull.
      >
      > If the boat is worth surveying, ie. will cost you more that $xx
      dollars, have
      > the owner arrange to haul it and take a good hard look at it,.....
      if the boat
      > is dirt cheap, then decide on what you can see as existing defects
      and buy it as
      > is, where is.
      >
      > Keep in mind that within the year, you will need to haul it and do
      a bottom job,
      > at that time, you may find that the keel is badly rusted, so you
      might possibly
      > have to grind and fair the keel, there may be rudder problems, from
      rudder
      > bearings to splits in the fiberglass and a rusted out rudderpost
      and straps,
      > there may be poorly repaired/replaced through hulls and former
      through hull
      > holes, damage to the hull, etc. Personally, unless the price were
      absolutely
      > cheap, I'd arrange for the owner to haul it so I could look at the
      bottom.

      > Jay Farquharson,
      > jsfarquharson@m...
      >

      > |--------+-------------------------->
      > | | "Tim Younker" |
      > | | <tyounk62@cybert|
      > | | rails.com> |
      > | | |
      > | | 10/02/01 03:22 |
      > | | PM |
      > | | Please respond |
      > | | to |
      > | | columbiasailingy|
      > | | achts |
      > | | |
      > |--------+-------------------------->
      ---------|

      > | To: columbiasailingyachts@y... |
      > | cc: (bcc: Jay S. Farquharson/TS-
      TouchSystems/3M/US) |
      > | Subject: CYOA - Blisters on C26 MK
      II |

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • mwilmer@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2001
        Don't worry much about one or two gel coat blisters on this size (and
        vintage) Columbia. I really doubt that you will run across any more
        serious a blistering problem in a pre-1973 Columbia boat. But there
        may be other issues..

        Have the boat hauled and inspected. If you don't have a survey (you
        should), at least have the yard give you an estimate for any and all
        work found to be needed above and below the waterline. Don't close
        the deal on the boat until it is out of the water! Try to subtract all
        of the costs of any need repairs from the asking or final price.
        Remember, some of the estimated work may easily be deferred-
        especially if you don't plan on keeping the boat for more than a few
        years.

        Make sure that the boat is what you want before you go through the
        trouble to haul out and survey. Be sure that it is the right boat for
        your plans, and that it is in acceptable condition. Make a time-and-
        materials budget for the project, and make sure that the finished
        product won't cost (much) more than what it would cost for you to
        acquire a different C26 or other boat- in the condition that you
        require for your plans.

        Mike

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@y..., "Smith, David M"
        <david.m.smith@t...> wrote:
        > Tim,
        >
        > There are lots of reasons to haul a boat before you buy it, blisters
        being only one of them. I would want to check keel to hull joint,
        rudder bearing play, cracks in the rudder, water logged rudder, loose
        cutlass bearing, bent up prop, through hull electrolysis, strut
        electrolysis, shaft and prop electrolysis, shaft straight,
        delamination in the hull, water logged core if the boat has one. Any
        one of these would be quite a project, and to repair properly could
        easily end up costing more than you are paying for the boat.

        > My money is always worth a surveyor and a haul before buying.
        >
        > That being said, the hull isn't as think as you think it is, (1/4
        inch maybe in places), and the early Tripp boats aren't generally
        susceptible to excessive blistering like some of the 80's era boats
        were.

        > David Smith
        > C45 Total Eclipse
        > San Diego Ca

      • Charles McCabe
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
          I bought a 1972 C26 MKII that had not been in the water for three years. The
          bottom had many coats of bottom paint. I should have, but did not have it
          surveyed. When I started playing around taking off botom paint, I found the
          bottom in really poor shape. I removed all the bottom paint with Peel Away
          to find the gel coat with may surface cracks and patches that would easily
          pop off with my finger nail (Is this what you call blisters?). After
          removing as much as I could with a putty knife and dremel tool, I used the
          Interlux system with two coats of epoxy followed by four coats of barrier
          coat. The rudder too was cracked and waterlogged and I resurfaced it with
          epoxy and fiberglassed the leading edge. Oh yes, the bottom of the rudder
          tube needed repair and I used the West System repair of drilling three holes
          near the bottom of the rudder tube and injecting a mix of epoxy and
          graphite. I still have to figure a permanent repair of the top rudder
          flange/bearing. The time for repair? May through late August! If I ever do
          this again I would defintely have a survey. Good Luck

          By the way, from my observation the hull thickness varies. It may not be as
          thick as you think. While replacing the thru hulls up front I found it is
          not as thick as I thought.

          Now that it is in the water, much of this work is forgotten, yesterday the
          weather was perfect and I had a great 4 hr. sail, I think I'm going to like
          this retirement stuff! Feel free to email me direct if you need more info.

          Charles McCabe
          C26 MKII "Ghost"
          Fair Haven, NY

          > Has anyone had any problem with hull blisters. The reason that I ask
          > is. I'm in the process of purchaseing a C26 mkII it's in the water
          > and my only option would be to get wet to ck. This boat is a 1969 it
          > should have a hull thick as a Rino's hide. I wouldn't think that even
          > if it did have blisters that they would be a serious concern. What's
          > your opinions?
          >

          > Columbia Yacht Owners Association:
          >
          > Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

          > To Subscribe, send a message to:
          columbiasailingyachts-subscribe@...

        • sv.seawoof
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
            Charles and CYOA,

            About hull thickness...I was very surprised to discover that the bottom of
            my C-30's hull is a half-inch or slightly less. Can't say whether it's the
            same from bow to stern (I doubt that it is), but it sure was that thin in
            the area under the aft bilge cover, just ahead of the steps.

            How do I know, you ask? I drilled right through when installing a bilge pump
            float switch last year. Nice little geyser developed from that tiny hole.

            No problem to the repair, though. Forced in some 5200, slathered more on the
            screw holding down the pump (one of two, I learned my lesson on the first
            one), and screwed it in.

            That took care of the leak, with no problems noted since. Wish I could say
            the same for the leak in the head under the vanity. Elusive little sucker -
            now the leak that caused recent water-in-the-cabin problems has stopped.
            Pumped out the bilge completely on Saturday, using a hand pump for the water
            not removed by the electric pump. No water appears to be coming in, but I'll
            have a better feel for this when I check again today.

            From first-hand experience, I can report that it's pretty damn scary
            drilling a hole through the bottom of one's boat. Wish I knew how to
            determine hull thickness beforehand.

            Jim
            SeaWoof C-30

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
              CYOA Crew,

              Beaudry came over Friday (my 57th birthday) and took a whole bunch of shots
              with his digital camera. He e-mailed some samples of the batch last night
              and they look pretty good for "before" photos.

              SeaWoof ought to look pretty good because my C-30 was in decent shape when
              purchased. Some of my projects are repairs and upgrades, such as some new
              wiring and plumbing, but most are personal enhancements and improvements
              over what Columbia and POs thought was adequate.

              Compared to the HUGE undertakings of some list members with their Columbias,
              I feel I've gotten off light.

              I'm supposed to pick up a CD from him in about two hours. Once I've gone
              through them, I'll put some in the Photos area of the CYOA Yahoo site. You
              can be sure I'll post a notice when I do <G>.

              Jim
              SeaWoof C-30
            • ghost26mk2@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
                Charles,I think that name for a Boat has been taken!!!

                GHOST GHOST
                Alpena MI "EL Condor Pasa"

                --- In columbiasailingyachts@y..., "Charles McCabe" <cmccabe@d...>

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2001
                  Funny how the 26MKII inspires the name! :-)

                  Charles McCabe
                  C26 MKII "Ghost"
                  Fairhaven, NY

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2001