Looking for a mast light guard

  • mitch_at_sea
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2014

      I just bought a new combination mast and deck light, and I'm looking for a way to protect it from the sails as they come past.  Forespar makes a mast light guard, but I don't like the way the bar mounts directly in front of the steaming light.  Can anyone tell me about other models, and where I could possibly buy them?

      Thanks.

      Mitch

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 14, 2014
        Yes, those lights do get damaged eventually by either sails or halyard slap.  I had to replace them on two of the three 30-year old boats I've owned.  Halyard slap had polished one side of them to the point that the paint and most of the metal had been worn off, and the lenses cracked.

        OTOH, those lights were original to the boats.  So I'm sure that part of your thinking is 'will I have this boat 30 years?'

        James R. Muri

        Novelist, Sailor
        BUY: My e-Novels at Amazon or my book site.
        VISIT: My Literary site.
        I just bought a new combination mast and deck light, and I'm looking for a way to protect it from the sails as they come past.  Forespar makes a mast light guard, but I don't like the way the bar mounts directly in front of the steaming light.  Can anyone tell me about other models, and where I could possibly buy them?
        Thanks.
        Mitch

      • Will
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 15, 2014
          Just a thought- but why not eliminate halyard slap when not under sail-better for the boat and anyone near enough to hear. Gilguys are the answer. a short length of line; either simply knotted or a little more seaman-like, that stretches from the halyards to a nearby shroud holding them off the mast-essential for wooden spars-a good idea for all.
          Will
        • Marty
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 15, 2014
            On 08/15/2014 07:39 AM, Will mainesail113@...
            [columbiasailingyachts] wrote:
            > Just a thought- but why not eliminate halyard slap when not under
            > sail-better for the boat and anyone near enough to hear.

            +1

            --
            Marty ~ '74 C28 ~ Coastal North Carolina

              Just a thought- but why not eliminate halyard slap when not under sail-better for the boat and anyone near enough to hear. Gilguys are the answer. a short length of line; either simply knotted or a little more seaman-like, that stretches from the halyards to a nearby shroud holding them off the mast-essential for wooden spars-a good idea for all.
              Will

            • cchl74

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 15, 2014
                  On 08/15/2014 12:38 PM, Kbjmjrb@... [columbiasailingyachts] wrote:
                  > I don't use gilguys. I swing the halyards outboard and catch them around
                  > the spreader ends, then secure them.

                  I've been experimenting with the "twist around singing stuff" idea like
                  car antennas have now.

                  For storm/hurricane Andrew, I brought down my furled jib and stowed it,
                  then wrapped the halyard around the furling core/axle about a turn every
                  1.5' then attached it taut at the furler base. Everything else was
                  singing, but not that. So, one data point anyway. And of course it
                  didn't slap.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 18, 2014
                    Halyard slap is not a problem on my 8.7.  The genoa is on a furling, and when the main is down I take its halyard and attach it to the end of the boom with the topping lift (if the topping lift snaps, the halyard will keep the boom from crashing into the cockpit - I learned that one the hard way).
                    So I'm looking for a guard to keep the mast/deck light safe from the head sail as it moves past.  Does anyone know about any guards other than the one Forespar makes?