c34 bulkhead replacement questions

  • gulfcoastwebservices
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 15, 2014

      I've successfully sistered keel bolts (thanks to everyone for their advice on that), taken care of little odds and ends, and since taken Sunshine out on her 'shakedown cruise'. She did great, and we all had fun!  On the second trip out  the high winds that day raised a new concern...

      The bulkhead between the head and the dinette is de-laminating and rotted throughout much of it. Although the chainplate did not appear to budge during our sails, I would feel better replacing this structural piece (or at least re-enforcing it)before sailing much harder.

      Any advice/knowledge on the replacement procedure for this bulkhead? I realize that I will likely need to un-step the mast and remove the mast support post, but was more concerned about how the bulkhead is connected to the hull. There seems to be large areas of fiberglass when looking at the chainplate from behind the mirror in the head, through the cabinet under the sink, and through the dinette; Is this  extensive tabbing, or simply a fiberglass 'slot' into which the panel slides? If it is a 'slot', what are the physical connection points?

      Thanks,

      Ed

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 15, 2014
        You may not need to unstep the mast, Ed.  You may be able to use a halyard to hold the mast long enough to replace that bulkhead if you pre-fab it so that you can just remove the old and slide the new into place.

        As to whether you have a slot or tabs, other C34 owners will have to help you with this.  Good luck.

        James R. Muri

        Novelist, Sailor
        BUY: My e-Novels at Amazon or my book site.
        VISIT: My Literary site.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 18, 2014

          Here are some thoughts based on my experience replacing the main bulkhead in my old Columbia 24.

          The boat had two main bulkheads - one on each side of the boat with a passageway in between.  The bulkheads had rotted around the chainplates and along the edge of the hull so just reinforcing the area where the chainplates attached was not an option.  Also, a lot of the cabinetry had rotted, so I gutted the main salon before removing the bulkheads.

          Your interior was probably installed before your deck was put on.  You may have a challenge getting the bulkheads loose from the cabinetry depending on whether it's glassed or screwed in place.

          Because I had the cabinetry out, getting the bulkheads out was easy.  If you are leaving your cabinetry in place, you will have to slide the bulkhead out to the center of the boat.  You probably won't have enough room to get one side out before it hits the other side, so you will probably have to cut it.  If your bulkhead is one piece running the width of the boat then you will have to cut it anyway.  Installation will be the reverse of removal.  You can slide the first half of one side of the bulkhead in place, the slide the second half in and glue them together with epoxy.  You can use fiberglass to join them inside the cabinetry.

          My bulkheads were tabbed to the hull with fiberglass and fit against a molded ridge in the cabin top.  I removed the tabbing on the aft side, but left it in place on the forward side.  That gave me the exact location for the bulkhead.  I used thickened epoxy to glue the bulkhead to the old tabbing and then created new tabbing on the aft side.  I think your boat has a molded pan and headliner, so you may just have ridges in them to locate the bulkhead.

          The bulkhead was the only thing supporting the cabin top.  When I removed the bulkhead the cabin top sagged about an inch.  I didn't realize this until I was installing the bulkhead.  If you can possibly work around your mast compression post then that should maintain your hull shape.

          Best of luck,

          Eric

        • harryjak
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18, 2014
            Here are a couple of web pages that include my bulkhead replacement on Sheer. It
            was not part of the mast support which makes it easier.

            http://www.hjboats.com/columbia38/weekten.html

            http://www.hjboats.com/columbia38/weeksixteen.html

            HJ
          • Richard Dondero
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 19, 2014

              I have a 1967 C34 so the boats are somewhat different, but I also needed to replace both the port and starboard bulkheads due to water penetrating through the deck core. You may want to check the integrity of the compression post and the adjacent wood.  I made the mistake in thinking the starboard (or convinced myself) bulkhead was ok only to replace it at a later date which made it more complicated.
              Richard
              1967 C34

              On Friday, July 18, 2014 11:59 PM, "welshman@... [columbiasailingyachts]" <columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Here are a couple of web pages that include my bulkhead replacement on Sheer. It
              was not part of the mast support which makes it easier.

              http://www.hjboats.com/columbia38/weekten.html

              http://www.hjboats.com/columbia38/weeksixteen.html

              HJ

              ------------------------------------
              Posted by: welshman@...

              ------------------------------------

              Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
              http://www.columbia-yachts.com/

              Home:
              http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • gulfcoastwebservices
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 22, 2014
                Thank you for the advice - I did actually find some rot at the top of the compression post....

                I guess I will be replacing that at the same time. Anyone done this - if so, did they stick with a teak post?
              • Daniel Grant
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 22, 2014
                  Why not replace it with a treated post  and cover with teak or mahogany veneer? Stronger, cheaper and more resistant to rot. I had damage to part of a bulkhead and cut the original in half, glassed in a new piece. I glassed the joint of the top and lower half and covered both sides with Mahogany. I glassed tabs all the way around my bulkhead on both sides for added strength. The boat is much stronger from this and other projects. Dan

                  To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                  From: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:06:44 -0700
                  Subject: Re: CYOA - Re: c34 bulkhead replacement questions

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 22, 2014
                    Good idea - probably much less expensive then the ideas I have been kicking around, also.