A Sea Trial

  • David Morgan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2014
      I am working my way back to what passes for normal for me.  I had two surgeries in two months.  At age 61 conditioning disappears quickly when you're not doing much.  A fact I'm sure some of our list members have already discovered.  And not getting out much I was continually faced with looking at all the unfinished projects around the house, including the water pump on my kicker.

      Eaglet is located in the shore end of the fairway, and there are boathouses the full length of the next dock, making any winds very unpredictably swirly in that slot.  It is virtually impossible to sail out from the slip.

      Having completed the rebuilt of the water pump and discovered that the biggest problem was blocked passages, the pump was fine, I was anxious to test it.  Since Jan had to work and no other crew was immediately available I went out with a promise that I wouldn't sail, and I would wear flotation at all times away from the dock.  Engine ran fine for the 3 hour tour around Sinclair Inlet, and all of the vegetation seems to be gone from the hull now, leaving a remarkable collections of mussels and barnacles.  (Anybody for a lecture on the sex life of barnacles?)  I'm not up to diving yet, so it looks like either a paid diver or a haul and pressure wash are in order.  Engine is a 74 Evinrude Fisherman, 6HP, 2 cycle.

      Discovered it had been two years since the last log entry was made.  I know we had taken it out last year but that may have been only once and the motor overheated at that leading to water pump rebuild that waited too long.  I haven't been in the habit of making entries when I go to the boat but don't leave the dock.  Does anyone do that?  Make log entries during at the dock visits to their boat?

      Surgeries were hemorrhoid repair and prostate removal.  Surgery turns out to have been the correct option for prostate.  Tumor was at the edge of the prostate, and we still don't know for sure if it reached to adjacent tissue.  We do know the lymph system is NOT affected.  More to be determined.

      David
      Bremerton, WA
      1968 C-22 #1109
      "Eaglet"
    • cchl74

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2014

          Thank God nothing else was affected, especially the lymph system. My last (divorced now) had breast cancer and it went into the lymph glands. Took a solid six months of chemo therapy. Talk about hell. That was. I’m really glad you’re ok. Fair winds David and you’ll get back out there. No worries!

          Jesse Doyle

          Redwood City, Ca.

          s/v Wind Singer

          1970 28’ Columbia #547

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24, 2014
            On 06/24/2014 01:18 PM, David Morgan sapper69k@...
            [columbiasailingyachts] wrote:
            > Surgery turns out to have been the correct option for prostate. Tumor
            > was at the edge of the prostate, and we still don't know for sure if it
            > reached to adjacent tissue. We do know the lymph system is NOT
            > affected. More to be determined.

            Glad to hear you got out on the water and that the docs are on the case
            and I hope events favor you David.

            --
            Marty ~ '74 C28 ~ Coastal North Carolina