Fw: CYOA - Old outboard....

  • Tom Gentry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2014

      A high thrust 9.9 was plenty for my Chrysler 26 (5200 lb.). I would think a 7.5 would work well for you, but you may need a different prop. Hopefully it's a long or extra long shaft so you can keep the prop in the water.

      Tom Gentry
      GinRhumby.net

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 16, 2014
        It is an extra long, yet no enough power.
        Could be old and require substantial repairs.

        I will look at the 9.9 range and see what they cost.
        Thanks

        Emanuele Bianchi
        Prima, Columbia 7.6 1978
        3122855305

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 16, 2014
          moved my 26 with a very dirty bottom over 10 miles with a 4 hp johnson .. at just under 4 knots ...
          john

          --
          My new favorite quote
          "The last thing you want to is to be sitting on your death bed with all your dreams standing around asking, why you taking us with you ? ... so many people do that ... so many people think your dreams have deadlines... but they don't" ... L.L. Cool J ... july 8th 2012
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 16, 2014
            A few years ago I got rid of the 9.9 Johnson 2t and purchased a Nissan 6hp 4t, long shaft. According to GPS it pushes my C26 MK II at 6kts. Best up grade on my boat thus far. 2 pulls on the string and it purrs to life. Lite weight. Very quiet even though it's in the cockpit well. Happy!
            Cheers,
            Dave T

            Sent from my iPhone
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 16, 2014

              I bought a 9.8hp Tohatsu extra-long shaft for $2200.00 from Shorts Marine. Excellent motor and the guys are ok to work with.

              Jesse Doyle

              Redwood City, Ca.

              s/v Wind Singer

              1970 28’ Columbia #547