Insurance and damage to boat

  • Sonia Hruska
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 16, 2014
      Hi guys, after many miles down the ICW we ran on to a sandbar in the middle of the channel.  Seatow towed us of but in such a way that our rudder got bent and cracks appeared midship in the cabin and on deck where the speader hardware goes into the deck.  The door to the head does not want to close now and are scew.  A crack where water leaks also appeared in the engine compartment towards the rudder shaft.  There were some serious stress cracks around the keel and the hull was gauged with something.  A crack appeared along the icebox and one of the bulkhead supports shows two small cracks and the ceiling of the cabin, under the mast step developed a short crack that you can put your fingernail in.

      When we got towed, she was stuck and the towboat yanked us, we fell over and were pulled on our side for a number of feet with everything shuddering.  We called the insurance and they had us towed to boatyard in Wilmington, NC.  Now the interesting part starts.

      When we got there it was dark and the next morning the boatyard hauled her out, removed the rudder and repaired it.  I phoned the insurance assessor immediately and asked him what is going on because there are other damage to consider.  He said they are trying to get us on our way as soon as possible.  The assessor got there later in the day and said, there you go, all repaired and ready to go.  I said no way, there is a crack in the engine compartment and water coming in. After a lengthy discussion and where he told us that he is not knowledgeable of boats and depend on the yard to advise him, he left.  I asked him a number of time to give me a list of repairs before they start.

      We had to find alternative accommodation.  Yesterday, I spoke to the assessor and he questioned us living on the boat and suggested that they were not liable because we were living aboard.  We told them it is bs because we have a house and motorhome and are sailing south, that is what you do when you sail with your boat and are on a trip.  After a very uncomfortable argument, I requested a list again, he promised to get back to me within the hour with a list.  About two hours later I got a message on my phone from the boatyard to tell me they got authorization from the insurance to go ahead with repairs.  I phoned him and he did not answer.  I phoned him from another number and he answered, I told him that the boatyard phoned to advise that they are starting on repairs and we do not have a list yet.  He informed us that no repairs will go ahead without our authorization but when we got tot he boatyard, they already started.

      Now for the interesting part, they are only paying for the haulout, the fibreglass repair around the keel and now they will graciously pay for the sealing of the shaft where the rudder is in because that is where they think the water is coming from.

      What would you do?

      Kind regards
      Sonia
    • Sonia Hruska
      Message 53 of 53 , Feb 2, 2014
        Lol and Truckers something underwrites Progressive boat insurance.  Hey, maybe go to them directly, then you only get screwed once *~X( at wits' end

        On Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:16 PM, Charles Bourne <cbourne200@...> wrote:

        I went through USAA to get boat insurance, and they use Progressive as their underwriter...

        Charles
        '87 O'Day 272
        Pensacola, FL