C26 MK II Hull

  • flattrack9t
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
      Quick question. How thick is the hull on a 69 C26 MK II?
      Cheers,
      Dave T
      License Ta Chil
      1969 C26 MK II
      Morro Bay, Ca.
    • Daniel Grant
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
        I'm not trying to give a smart answer but it depends on where you measure the thickness, sides, bottom close to keel or close to the sides on the bottom. Dan

        > To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
        > From: david-tice@...
        > Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 15:56:36 +0000
        > Subject: CYOA - C26 MK II Hull
        >
        > Quick question. How thick is the hull on a 69 C26 MK II?
        > Cheers,
        > Dave T
        > License Ta Chil
        > 1969 C26 MK II
        > Morro Bay, Ca.

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
        > http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

      • David Tice
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
          OK. I guess the correct question should have been "What is the average thickness?" I'm asking because I want to install a "shoot through the hull" transducer for a depth finder. Which leads to the obvious, next question... Where is the best place inside the boat to mount it?
          Cheers,
          Dave T

          Sent from my iPhone
        • radicalcy
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014

            David,

            As long as the hull is solid fiberglass, and not cored, the thickness shouldn't be an issue. To answer your second question, mount it in the flatest, lowest spot you can find. I have a Garmin transducer mounted in the forepeak below the area of the wastewater tank. The mounting tube gives you a pretty good choice of angles and you can always use an appropriately sized piece of PVC pipe to further flatten your mount area.

            See Tom Neale's suggestion:

            http://www.tomneale.com/tips13.html

            Larry Wilson

          • David Tice
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
              Oh crud.
              I know the deck is fiberglass over wood but I don't know what the hull is. I assumed the hull was wood cored as well.
              Cheers,
              Dave T

              Sent from my iPhone
            • Daniel Grant
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
                Dave,
                If you are wanting to shoot through he hull with a depth sounder there is no problem. You do not need to know the thickness as it is solid glass and your depth sounder should easily shout through it. I installed a depth sounder in my 8.7 and a prior C-28 to the left of the keel in the bottom of a locker. I inserted the transducer in a blob of silicone with no air bubbles beneath the transducer. They both worked very well. Most units can be calebrated for the depth of the keel or you can subtract the keel depth from the depth the unit reports. Dan

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014

                  Dave, I tried mounting mine in the silicone in the bow of my 28. I made sure there was no air bubbles but it didn’t work. I read a while back that the best way was to mount a piece of pvc pipe large enough to accommodate the transducer and fill it with mineral oil. I mounted the transducer to the side of the pipe and silicone the screw holes. I put a slot in a cap for it and ran the cable thru it and then silicone the slot so as to not allow any to spill over in rough conditions. It worked as well as having it mounted on the outside. I’ve got it pointed just a touch forward to pick up shallows a little before hitting them. It didn’t affect the true depth. So far it has worked great and kept me off the mud. Not saying that the silicone doesn’t work as good but the mineral oil method is working better for me and mounting it deep enough in the bow so as not to come out of the water when in the rough I think is better than beside the keel because it can’t see on the other side of it. It’s just my opinion but that’s why we’re here. I also made a box on the port side of my companion way and mounted my vhf on it to where I could hear it and have the mic handy and I mounted my depth sounder on a swing arm so that when I’m running I swing it out and I can see it from the cock pit. Well, got to get back to my honey do list. Never ending and best to keep her happy. Makes my life much better.

                  Jesse Doyle

                  Redwood City, Ca.

                  s/v Wind Singer

                  1970 28’ Columbia #547

                  If you are wanting to shoot through he hull with a depth sounder there is no problem. You do not need to know the thickness as it is solid glass and your depth sounder should easily shout through it. I installed a depth sounder in my 8.7 and a prior C-28 to the left of the keel in the bottom of a locker. I inserted the transducer in a blob of silicone with no air bubbles beneath the transducer. They both worked very well. Most units can be calebrated for the depth of the keel or you can subtract the keel depth from the depth the unit reports. Dan

                  > To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                  > From: david-tice@...
                  > Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 09:19:26 -0800
                  > Subject: RE: CYOA - C26 MK II Hull
                  >
                  > Oh crud.
                  > I know the deck is fiberglass over wood but I don't know what the hull is. I assumed the hull was wood cored as well.
                  > Cheers,
                  > Dave T
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone

                  > <*> Your email settings:
                  > Individual Email | Traditional
                  >
                  > <*> To change settings online go to:
                  > (Yahoo! ID required)
                  >
                  > <*> To change settings via email:
                  > columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  > columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  > <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
                  > http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

                • Lance Como

                    If you are wanting to shoot through he hull with a depth sounder there is no problem. You do not need to know the thickness as it is solid glass and your depth sounder should easily shout through it. I installed a depth sounder in my 8.7 and a prior C-28 to the left of the keel in the bottom of a locker. I inserted the transducer in a blob of silicone with no air bubbles beneath the transducer. They both worked very well. Most units can be calebrated for the depth of the keel or you can subtract the keel depth from the depth the unit reports. Dan

                    > To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: david-tice@...
                    > Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 09:19:26 -0800
                    > Subject: RE: CYOA - C26 MK II Hull
                    >
                    > Oh crud.
                    > I know the deck is fiberglass over wood but I don't know what the hull is. I assumed the hull was wood cored as well.
                    > Cheers,
                    > Dave T
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone

                    > <*> Your email settings:
                    > Individual Email | Traditional
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings online go to:
                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                    >
                    > <*> To change settings via email:
                    > columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    > columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    > <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
                    > http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

                    ---
                    Lance Como
                    Como Consortium Ltd. WorldWide
                    2933 Quail Avenue North
                    Golden Valley, MN 55422
                    USA

                    763.521.5276    Office
                    763.234.8008    Mobile
                    612.677.3277    Fax
                    800 730.6824    Toll-Free

                    lance@...   E-mail
                    lancecomo@...   International E-mail
                    http://www.comoltd.com   Website

                  • David Tice
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
                      Cool. Thanks guys! Now all I need to do is select a depth finder. I thought about getting a Garmin all in one unit but maybe separate units ( depth, fish, GPS) if one goes down I'll still have the others in operation. Then again on a 26 foot boat space is at a premium. Hmmm decisions, decisions.
                      Cheers,
                      Dave T

                      Sent from my iPhone
                    • cchl74

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
                          Hi Dave, I have a Garmin 431, gps, compass, depth, speed, fish finder, ect, that I bought thru eBay for substantially below west marine's cost. It came with the  transducer. Also have blue charts thumb drive. My transducer is siliconed to the hull in a locker to port. I mounted the display on a swinging arm to view from the companion way. Garmin also makes a flush mount kit for the cabin bulkhead. Good luck,
                          Dan O
                          Long Beach, Ca

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014

                            In other words. MUD.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
                              I would put it in the starboard hanging locker against the rear bulkhead as far out
                              from the center as hull sloe would allow. I have the Garmin in hull in my Triton
                              with the Garmin 250, finds bottom at 6-700 feet and fish wherever they are.

                              HJ

                              OK. I guess the correct question should have been "What is the average thickness?"
                              > I'm asking because I want to install a "shoot through the hull" transducer for a
                              > depth finder. Which leads to the obvious, next question... Where is the best place
                              > inside the boat to mount it?
                              > Cheers,
                              > Dave T
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPhone

                            • harryjak
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
                                Disregard my previous on going as far out as you can, Larry is correct, low and
                                hopefully flat.

                                HJ

                                David,
                                > As long as the hull is solid fiberglass, and not cored, the thickness shouldn't be
                                > an issue. To answer your second question, mount it in the flatest, lowest spot you
                                > can find. I have a Garmin transducer mounted in the forepeak below the area of the
                                > wastewater tank. The mounting tube gives you a pretty good choice of angles and
                                > you can always use an appropriately sized piece of PVC pipe to further flatten
                                > your mount area.
                                > See Tom Neale's suggestion:
                                > http://www.tomneale.com/tips13.html
                                >

                                > Larry Wilson

                              • harryjak
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
                                  I would put it in the starboard hanging locker against the rear bulkhead as far out
                                  from the center as hull sloe would allow. I have the Garmin in hull in my Triton
                                  with the Garmin 250, finds bottom at 6-700 feet and fish wherever they are.

                                  HJ

                                  OK. I guess the correct question should have been "What is the average thickness?"
                                  > I'm asking because I want to install a "shoot through the hull" transducer for a
                                  > depth finder. Which leads to the obvious, next question... Where is the best place
                                  > inside the boat to mount it?
                                  > Cheers,
                                  > Dave T
                                  >
                                  > Sent from my iPhone

                                • Bob Elmer
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 8, 2014
                                    Dave -- In my 26 the previous owner had mounted an older depth sounder head, starboard side close to the centerline, just under the forward end of the cockpit. I figured I'd place my new transducer in the same spot. I did as Lance has advised, experimented with a water-filled plastic bag with the new one (a single-purpose Hawkeye, one of those smaller round ones, bulkhead mounted, fairly inexpensive). Then I set the new transducer in slow-cure epoxy, as the instructions recommended. (I think slow-cure was specified to give all bubbles a chance to work themselves out.)

                                    Anyway, works perfect;  does just want I want it to do.

                                    Bob Elmer
                                    1971 C-26 #1404
                                    "Second Draft"
                                    Oak Harbor, WA

                                    1a. C26 MK II Hull
                                       Posted by: "flattrack9t" david-tice@... flattrack9t

                                    Morro Bay, Ca.
                                  • cchl74
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 9, 2014
                                      OK, point taken. Basically, if the transducer is not pointing straight down, and in actual use on a sailboat it rarely is no matter what, the true depth is not off by much. A couple inches of accuracy in true depth, when grounding is possible, should not be something the skipper should take as faith. "Don't worry crew, we still have an inch of clearance." is something only racers will say. However, if the skipper wants to know about impending disaster ahead, the depth several boat lengths ahead is required. There are depth sounders that will map out the bottom ahead, but a simple transducer will not do this unless pointed ahead by quite a bit. I recommended to Eric to set a forward pointing transducer at a 60 degree angle from vertical. At this angle, the displayed depth will be one half of the actual depth ahead of the boat.

                                      In other words. MUD.