TOE RAIL HOLES

  • huffboat
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 28, 2013
      I would like to drill a few small horizontal-ish holes in my (solid) toe rail, and line with some plastic sleeves, to help with foredeck drainage- anyone done this to a C24 or Challenger?

      Been a while since I posted and the new format now only works with my obscure browser and even then it seems a bit difficult to navigate and the like.

      Thanks.  Huff
    • cchl74
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 28, 2013
        This may not work on the Challenger. I've drilled through the toe rail and through the deck to install cleats along my toe rail and on mine, there is a hollow space under the deck rail part. I think that the plywood core extends flat to the edge of the hull but the rail bump part is hollow.

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 28, 2013

          I plan on doing that to my 28. The water has a tendency to puddle in one place. Don’t know why it was designed that way. Maybe I’ll just make cut outs rather than just holes that can easily get plugged.

          Jesse Doyle

          Redwood City, Ca.

          s/v Wind Singer

          1970 28’ Columbia #547

          I would like to drill a few small horizontal-ish holes in my (solid) toe rail, and line with some plastic sleeves, to help with foredeck drainage- anyone done this to a C24 or Challenger?

          Been a while since I posted and the new format now only works with my obscure browser and even then it seems a bit difficult to navigate and the like.

          Thanks.  Huff

        • John Dodd

            --
            My new favorite quote
            "The last thing you want to is to be sitting on your death bed with all your dreams standing around asking, why you taking us with you ? ... so many people do that ... so many people think your dreams have deadlines... but they don't" ... L.L. Cool J ... july 8th 2012

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 28, 2013
                Cutting out a good healthy notch or two is smarter than drilling holes.  Easier to do, easier to make watertight, drains more water, won't clog with seagull poop.

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 29, 2013
                  Am wary, in which case, of losing some structural rigidity in the foredeck, but said worry is probably unwarranted, though.  Thanks.  Huff

                  ---In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, <irumrj@...> wrote:

                  Cutting out a good healthy notch or two is smarter than drilling holes.  Easier to do, easier to make watertight, drains more water, won't clog with seagull poop.

                  I would like to drill a few small horizontal-ish holes in my (solid) toe rail, and line with some plastic sleeves, to help with foredeck drainage- anyone done this to a C24 or Challenger?

                  Been a while since I posted and the new format now only works with my obscure browser and even then it seems a bit difficult to navigate and the like.

                  Thanks.  Huff

                • Daniel Grant
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 29, 2013
                    I have a metal slotted toe rail the whole length that sits on a slightly raised glass toe rail. I have done what Dr. Dave taught me to do. I use 1/2 cotton rope tied in the middle to the metal toe rail with one end laying on the deck where water collects and the other end hanging over the side. It wicks the water over the side in short order after it rains. That was the easiest option I could find. On the 8.7 all the stations were installed on solid glass raised pads at the factory which eliminates concern of water weeping in there. Dan

                    To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                    From: oliveviewvillas@...
                    Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 07:17:42 -0700
                    Subject: CYOA - RE: TOE RAIL HOLES

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 29, 2013

                      Well, that would work great if you didn’t mind the look and having to change it monthly. Where I’m at we have constant commercial jet aircraft go over. You know, where that Korean air line crashed.

                      Jesse Doyle

                      Redwood City, Ca.

                      s/v Wind Singer

                      1970 28’ Columbia #547

                      To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                      From: oliveviewvillas@...
                      Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 07:17:42 -0700

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 29, 2013
                        Jesse, It is all in the eye of the beholder. I have had the same cotton rope pieces on my boat for over a year. I also keep my boat tied to my dock and have no one walking by and making comments. It works for me by wicking the water off my 8.7. It would be a major undertaking to drill holes in the deck epoxy in a fitting, attach a hose to the fitting below deck and drill a hole in the side of the deck  to glass in another fitting to attach the hose to drain overboard.  Dan

                        To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                        To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                        From: oliveviewvillas@...
                        Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 07:17:42 -0700

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 29, 2013

                          Dan, I’m not going to drill holes. I’m just going to cut out about five inches of the one inch toe rail, glass in a piece of one inch ply under it to keep the strength and then glass it to where it looks like it was made that way. My old Pearson had a teak toe rail and it had the cut out. They worked really good. Another reason I don’t want to have anything laying on my deck is because of all the exhaust dust from the planes.

                          Jesse Doyle

                          Redwood City, Ca.

                          s/v Wind Singer

                          1970 28’ Columbia #547

                          To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com

                          To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                          From: oliveviewvillas@...
                          Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 07:17:42 -0700

                          Am wary, in which case, of losing some structural rigidity in the foredeck, but said worry is probably unwarranted, though.  Thanks.  Huff

                          ---In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, <irumrj@...> wrote:

                          Cutting out a good healthy notch or two is smarter than drilling holes.  Easier to do, easier to make watertight, drains more water, won't clog with seagull poop.

                          I would like to drill a few small horizontal-ish holes in my (solid) toe rail, and line with some plastic sleeves, to help with foredeck drainage- anyone done this to a C24 or Challenger?

                          Been a while since I posted and the new format now only works with my obscure browser and even then it seems a bit difficult to navigate and the like.

                          Thanks.  Huff

                        • mitch_at_sea
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 30, 2013

                            I don't know anything about C24 construction, so I can't really comment on your plans.  But I would think cutting a slot in your toe rail would be a much better solution.  A slot would be easier to seal, leaks/cracks would be easier to spot, you can make the slot as wide as necessary, and a slot will never clog.

                            I have aluminum toe rails on my 8.7, with a pair of ineffective thru-hulls for drainage.  The first few 8.7's didn't have drains, but after complaints of water pooling Columbia put them in.  Why Columbia didn't simply leave a section of toe rail out to let the water run overboard I'll never know.  It would have been simpler, more cost efficient and a more effective solution than installing the drains.

                            Being only 1/2" wide (what were they thinking?!?) the drains are constantly clogging, requiring me to clean them with several pipe cleaners twisted together.  I thought of cutting out a section of my toe rail to let the water out, but since the deck drains are already there I'm going to try to widen them instead.  I have excellent access to the port drain, so I'm going to do that one first and see how it works out.

                            By the way - I hate this new format too.  Maybe it'll grow on me, we'll see.

                            ---In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, <oliveviewvillas@...> wrote:

                            I would like to drill a few small horizontal-ish holes in my (solid) toe rail, and line with some plastic sleeves, to help with foredeck drainage- anyone done this to a C24 or Challenger?

                            Been a while since I posted and the new format now only works with my obscure browser and even then it seems a bit difficult to navigate and the like.

                            Thanks.  Huff
                          • gr8wi9
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 30, 2013
                              I found that the hose running from the deck fitting to the drain in the cockpit has to run downhill the whole way for it to work effectively. On the port side mine ran over a bulkhead in the chart table area and then it was tied to the toerail bolts close to the deck. So it was far from a downhill run. I made a new hole in the bulkhead and adjusted the supports for the hose so it runs downhill all the way. Same story on the starboard side, but access is much more difficult. It's still not perfect but far better than before. A larger diameter would be nice. I think they may have done the deck drain to try to avoid dirty water streaks down the topsides at the toerail slots.

                              Jim
                              C-8.7 Penny Lane
                              Waukegan Harbor, IL

                              --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, <kestrel-01@...> wrote:

                              > I don't know anything about C24 construction, so I can't really comment on your plans. But I would think cutting a slot in your toe rail would be a much better solution. A slot would be easier to seal, leaks/cracks would be easier to spot, you can make the slot as wide as necessary, and a slot will never clog.
                              >

                              > I have aluminum toe rails on my 8.7, with a pair of ineffective thru-hulls for drainage. The first few 8.7's didn't have drains, but after complaints of water pooling Columbia put them in. Why Columbia didn't simply leave a section of toe rail out to let the water run overboard I'll never know. It would have been simpler, more cost efficient and a more effective solution than installing the drains.
                              >

                              > Being only 1/2" wide (what were they thinking?!?) the drains are constantly clogging, requiring me to clean them with several pipe cleaners twisted together. I thought of cutting out a section of my toe rail to let the water out, but since the deck drains are already there I'm going to try to widen them instead. I have excellent access to the port drain, so I'm going to do that one first and see how it works out.
                              >

                              > By the way - I hate this new format too. Maybe it'll grow on me, we'll see.
                              >

                              > ---In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, <oliveviewvillas@> wrote:
                              >
                              > I would like to drill a few small horizontal-ish holes in my (solid) toe rail, and line with some plastic sleeves, to help with foredeck drainage- anyone done this to a C24 or Challenger?
                              >
                              > Been a while since I posted and the new format now only works with my obscure browser and even then it seems a bit difficult to navigate and the like.
                              >
                              > Thanks. Huff

                            • tcrane29664