Columbia 9.6 Rudder specs or drawings

  • jeff kuthy
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 20, 2013

      Does anyone have any specs or drawings for Columbia 9.6?
      Thanks
      Jeff Kuthy
      CLY 9.6 #56
      WIND WHISPERER
      PORT CLINTON OH

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • jeff kuthy

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 20, 2013

            Harry,
            Nothing available for 9.6 though.
            Did they use rudder from another production boat maybe?

            Jeff K

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013

              Jeffrey,

              I think the rudders are similar, but different in various ways.

              There is a 9.6 that I think is still near you, in Sandusky, that the owner stores on hard in winter.

              9.6 KIRSI, you can see photos in the albums.

              Maybe you can take off dimensions.

              He has done astonishing amounts of work on the boat.

              Perhaps he would let you make a female skin of the rudder to use for molding a plug.

              A reinforced fiberglass skin is not that hard to make on a part like that.

              Winter's coming, and it could be out door work, so check it out.

              I could help if I can get up to Ohio for a few days.

              ~ pete

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013

                Pete,
                I had a conversation with a man that had a rudder made from his old rudder for his Morgan 36 from Foss Foam for around $1200. They used the original post and plate. I was impressed by the man from Foss Foam on the phone who said we're talking one to two week turnaround for a new rudder.
                Im considering this option over making my own.
                I couldnt possibly do this myself in four weeks.
                I have alot of the rudder left. Im going to ask them if it is enough to make a mold.

                Jeff K.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013

                  That is an excellent approach, keep us posted.

                  When I requested a quote for the 9.6, I learned that he doesn't have that mold, although he does have other boat model molds.

                  So he said he would need about $1500 to make the mold, and another $1500 to make the rudder from the mold.

                  Not in my budget, so I went my way, as you have seen in photos, I think.

                  Anyway, you'll save yourself a lot of shipping if you drive yours down there.

                  Winter in that part of Florida is cool, but generally mild, with many warm days.

                  Crystal River is nearby, and many other nature areas, and of course Orlando and Tampa are in easy travelling distance. Hint, if you like to camp, Ocala National Forest is great in the winter. Juniper Springs is a nice warm swimming hole...

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013

                    Thanks

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013
                      Hey Jeff, I looked for same-found nothing.  Whats the prob?  I dropped mine last week on my 8.7 likely same design.  I expected to see a bearing in the keel body but just an empty tube- the gudgeon is doing all the work-not great.  Larry Wilson got a bronze bushing from Buck Algonquin that he's retrofitting intto the bottom of the tube- Might work fine, but I'm concerned about O2 starvation around rudder post and resultant corrosion.  Best,   Will

                    • Daniel Grant
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013
                        This was discussed several years ago and the older experienced sailors like Dr. Dave, John and Robert recommended mixing graphite with epoxy and pouring it into the tub . The shaft should heavily waxed so the graphite/epoxy does not adhere to the shaft only the tube. This makes a perfect fit tube that functions as a bushing through the length of the tube. It also eliminates play from a worn tube. Also all materials are readily available. Dan

                        To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                        From: mainesail113@...
                        Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:30:18 -0700
                        Subject: CYOA - Re: Columbia 9.6 Rudder specs or drawings

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 21, 2013
                          West System repair manual has it on page 61.

                          http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-and-Maintenance.pdf

                          HJ

                          To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                          From: mainesail113@...
                          Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:30:18 -0700

                          Hey Jeff, I looked for same-found nothing.  Whats the prob?  I dropped mine last week on my 8.7 likely same design.  I expected to see a bearing in the keel body but just an empty tube- the gudgeon is doing all the work-not great.  Larry Wilson got a bronze bushing from Buck Algonquin that he's retrofitting intto the bottom of the tube- Might work fine, but I'm concerned about O2 starvation around rudder post and resultant corrosion.  Best,   Will

                        • Richard Dondero
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 22, 2013
                            I used this procedure about two years ago and it worked well for me
                            Richard

                            From: mainesail113@...
                            Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:30:18 -0700