Re: My plan to replace the core of my 9.6 cabin top with PurpleHeart

  • Tim Malcolm
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
      > I do not remember who posted it but there was one of the group around
      > a year ago who did a major rebuild like you are talking about. He
      took down
      > the whole cabin header and redid the inner layer from the bottom and
      then
      > put a new header over that looked fantastic. When he did the job he
      posted
      > a lot of pics and descriptions of how to do everything he did as well.

      I did a side deck from inside the cabin a few years ago. Similar to what
      Geoff described, but never got around to covering things up with a new
      header. It wasn't that difficult really, just awkward and labor intensive.

      The original posting is here:

      and pics are in this album:

      --Tim
    • jeff kuthy
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013
        TIm,
        Thanks for the info.
             I do have one question though.
         How did you get the top side of the balsa core saturated with resin prior to installing it with thickened epoxy?
        Thanks
        Jeff K.

        > I do not remember who posted it but there was one of the group around
        > a year ago who did a major rebuild like you are talking about. He
        took down
        > the whole cabin header and redid the inner layer from the bottom and
        then
        > put a new header over that looked fantastic. When he did the job he
        posted
        > a lot of pics and descriptions of how to do everything he did as well.

        I did a side deck from inside the cabin a few years ago. Similar to what
        Geoff described, but never got around to covering things up with a new
        header. It wasn't that difficult really, just awkward and labor intensive.

        The original posting is here:

        and pics are in this album:

        --Tim

      • Jeffrey Kuthy
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013

          Tim,
          If you used almost two gallons of resin, it sounds as if you did get alot of wetout with the balsa.
          I have come to the conclusion that the core on my 9.6 was repaired in the 90s from the underneath without proper wetout of the topside of the balsa prior to glassing it into place from the bottom. Balsa core gains strength from absorption of the resin that is applied to it. With help from gravity the resin bleeds down into the balsa pores, giving the core great strength and minimizes the chance of water entering from the topside of the core. The water was introduced to the balsa core because of faulty thru-bolting and wood screws that exposed the unprotected core. If there are voids of resin coverage in the balsa core and it is exposed to water, it will swell as it sucks up the moisture. Eventually rot and cracks form in the gelcoat and outer glass from the swelling and weakness.

          I really appreciate your replies.

          Thankyou very much!
          Jeff K.

          Sent with AquaMail for Android
          http://www.aqua-mail.com

          On August 17, 2013 9:18:18 AM jeff kuthy wrote:

          TIm,
          Thanks for the info.
               I do have one question though.
           How did you get the top side of the balsa core saturated with resin prior to installing it with thickened epoxy?
          Thanks
          Jeff K.

          > I do not remember who posted it but there was one of the group around
          > a year ago who did a major rebuild like you are talking about. He
          took down
          > the whole cabin header and redid the inner layer from the bottom and
          then
          > put a new header over that looked fantastic. When he did the job he
          posted
          > a lot of pics and descriptions of how to do everything he did as well.

          I did a side deck from inside the cabin a few years ago. Similar to what
          Geoff described, but never got around to covering things up with a new
          header. It wasn't that difficult really, just awkward and labor intensive.

          The original posting is here:

          and pics are in this album:

          --Tim

        • tmalcolm
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013
            If memory serves .... it was as just trowel thickened epoxy onto the deck underside and slosh unthickened epoxy onto the balsa. Then I pressed the balsa core up into the thickened epoxy and used the inside skin with shims and vertical sticks to keep everything pressed together.
            Instead of bonding on the old skin, I did a new epoxy glass lamination. 1st trowel some thickened epoxy onto the balsa core, then wet out layers of glass cloth, mat , roving etc and press them into the thickened epoxy (I rollered off excess epoxy). Finally,I smoothed on a layeer of peel ply over the lamination (actually a DIY version ... cling film), wedged the old skin over the lamination and let it all cure.

            Doing it again, I'd use shower curtain as DIY peel ply. Cheaper than the real thing and more effective than cling film.

            --Tim

            --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, jeff kuthy <jeffkuthy@...> wrote:

            > TIm,
            > Thanks for the info.
            >      I do have one question though.
            >  How did you get the top side of the balsa core saturated with resin prior to installing it with thickened epoxy?
            > Thanks
            > Jeff K.

          • tmalcolm
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17, 2013
              My side deck recore was the result of poor chainplate sealing and leaking genoa track bolt holes.
              An ounce of prevention!!

              --Tim