RE: CYOA - Re: main halyard jammer - any ideas ?

  • Daniel Grant
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 17, 2013
      Defenders and received a very good price. Dan

      To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
      From: jedodd@...
      Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:56:47 -0400
      Subject: Re: CYOA - Re: main halyard jammer - any ideas ?

      do you have a source for the new sheaves?
      John

      I would recommend changing from wire to rope halyard. You will need to change your sheaves. I did this on my 8.7 without lowering the mast. It was easy but you need to be careful not to drop anything down the mast.

      --
      My new favorite quote
      "The last thing you want to is to be sitting on your death bed with all your dreams standing around asking, why you taking us with you ? ... so many people do that ... so many people think your dreams have deadlines... but they don't" ... L.L. Cool J ... july 8th 2012

    • Daniel Grant
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 17, 2013
        Defenders. Ordered for rope same diameter as wire but with a bigger groove. I caught a wire in the hand one time and the wire halyards had to go. Besides the block for the topping lift which gives me an emergency means to raise the sail I added a bracket off the front of the mast for a spinnaker  which also lets me raise a jig if the jib halyard jams. Dan

        > To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
        > From: cjecje1@...
        > Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:17:55 -0400
        > Subject: Re: CYOA - Re: main halyard jammer - any ideas ?
        >

        > Where did you get the new sheave?
        >
        > stephen
        > ----------
        >

        > On Jun 17, 2013, at 7:52 PM, Daniel Grant wrote:
        >

        > I would recommend changing from wire to rope halyard. You will need to change your sheaves. I did this on my 8.7 without lowering the mast. It was easy but you need to be careful not to drop anything down the mast.
        >
        > > To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: kelly.grogan@...
        > > Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:42:10 +0000
        > > Subject: CYOA - Re: main halyard jammer - any ideas ?
        > >
        > > I had the same happen. Quickest fix was to go up in a chair. I have Mast rigging, just used a long screwdriver to work wire back on it's shiv. Just make sure in the future there is no slack in your lines.
        > > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, cjecje1 <cjecje1@...> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > My main halyard is jammed in some way that I cannot determine from the deck.
        > > >
        > > > Although, because it is a wire halyard I imagine that it has gotten out of it's groove and jammed between the cheek of it's sheave and the space the sheave turns in.
        > > >
        > > > So now what? Any ideas?
        > > >
        > > > stephen
        > > > -----------
        > > >

        > > ------------------------------------
        > >
        > > Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
        > > http://www.columbia-yachts.com/
        > >
        > > Home:
        > > http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • tmalcolm
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
          Jesse -

          A quick google for "outboard mounting height" turned up this rather useful PDF.
          FWIW,  I mounted the outboard on my old 8.3 so that the cavitation plate was about 4" below the water's surface.
          If you need a hand let me know, I'm in Los Gatos and help out most mornings and early afternoons.

          Tim.

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013

            Thanks Tim. Still waiting on my outboard to be delivered. Just trying to get a jump on things. Also designing a mast to lift it too. It will also be used for my solar panel, GPS antenna and hopefully one day a small radar. Got caught in the bay fog one time and had to anchor. But I digress. Thank you again for your help. Oh, maybe just one more pick of your brain. What thickness backing would you use. I’m thinking an 1 ½ panel about 14 to 16 inches wide running the full height of my transom.

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013

              Thank you Bruce.