RE: CYOA - heaving to

  • Floent Boico
    Message 1 of 15 , May 26 8:23 AM
      mmmh maybe but we were facing towards angel island from treasure island and I think we were on an ebb tide so if anything I would expect the current would flow the other way, no?

      ------------------------------
      On Sun, May 26, 2013 8:13 AM PDT Jesse Doyle wrote:

      >Florent, do you think it could have been the current flowing by you.
      >
      >Jesse Doyle
      >
      >1971 Columbia 28’

      >s/v Wind Singer
      >
      >Redwood City, Ca.
      >
      >37º 35’ 14.32” N
      >
      >122º 18’ 58.89” W

    • sv Compass Rose
      Message 2 of 15 , May 26 9:30 AM
        I think it is common to have the boat moving at a knot or two even when hove to. If it's not moving, the rudder won't have the steering effect needed to keep the boat oriented properly.

        Eric
        Compass Rose
        anchored Falmouth Harbour, Antigua

        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Floent Boico <flo617@...> wrote:

        > mmmh maybe but we were facing towards angel island from treasure island and I think we were on an ebb tide so if anything I would expect the current would flow the other way, no?
        >

        > ------------------------------
        > On Sun, May 26, 2013 8:13 AM PDT Jesse Doyle wrote:
        >
        > >Florent, do you think it could have been the current flowing by you.
        > >
        > >Jesse Doyle
        > >
        > >1971 Columbia 28’

        > >s/v Wind Singer
        > >
        > >Redwood City, Ca.
        > >
        > >37º 35’ 14.32” N
        > >
        > >122º 18’ 58.89” W

      • Floent Boico
        Message 3 of 15 , May 26 9:42 AM
          but from what I understood (I might be wrong), the boat is supposed to drift and if anything move slightly backward.

          at least that was what I understood when I was reading Storm Tactics

          ------------------------------
          On Sun, May 26, 2013 9:30 AM PDT sv Compass Rose wrote:

          >I think it is common to have the boat moving at a knot or two even when hove to. If it's not moving, the rudder won't have the steering effect needed to keep the boat oriented properly.
          >
          >Eric
          >Compass Rose
          >anchored Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
          >
          >--- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Floent Boico <flo617@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> mmmh maybe but we were facing towards angel island from treasure island and I think we were on an ebb tide so if anything I would expect the current would flow the other way, no?
          >>

          >> ------------------------------
          >> On Sun, May 26, 2013 8:13 AM PDT Jesse Doyle wrote:
          >>
          >> >Florent, do you think it could have been the current flowing by you.
          >> >
          >> >Jesse Doyle
          >> >
          >> >1971 Columbia 28’

          >> >s/v Wind Singer
          >> >
          >> >Redwood City, Ca.
          >> >
          >> >37º 35’ 14.32” N
          >> >
          >> >122º 18’ 58.89” W

        • Alan Miller
          Message 4 of 15 , May 26 9:50 AM
            I think drift leeward.

            Alan
            Tempest C26, #22

            but from what I understood (I might be wrong), the boat is supposed to drift and if anything move slightly backward.

            at least that was what I understood when I was reading Storm Tactics

            ------------------------------
            On Sun, May 26, 2013 9:30 AM PDT sv Compass Rose wrote:

            >I think it is common to have the boat moving at a knot or two even when hove to. If it's not moving, the rudder won't have the steering effect needed to keep the boat oriented properly.
            >
            >Eric
            >Compass Rose
            >anchored Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
            >
            >--- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Floent Boico <flo617@...> wrote:
            >>

            >> mmmh maybe but we were facing towards angel island from treasure island and I think we were on an ebb tide so if anything I would expect the current would flow the other way, no?
            >>

            >> ------------------------------
            >> On Sun, May 26, 2013 8:13 AM PDT Jesse Doyle wrote:
            >>
            >> >Florent, do you think it could have been the current flowing by you.
            >> >
            >> >Jesse Doyle
            >> >
            >> >1971 Columbia 28’

            >> >s/v Wind Singer
            >> >
            >> >Redwood City, Ca.
            >> >
            >> >37º 35’ 14.32” N
            >> >
            >> >122º 18’ 58.89” W

          • Tim Malcolm
            Message 5 of 15 , May 27 7:29 AM
              From my understanding of discussions in 'Storm Tactics' you simply have
              to experiment with the amount of sail until the boat is properly hove to.

              --Tim
            • sinbad
              Message 6 of 15 , May 27 3:38 PM
                You do not want to be going backward, you could damage the rudder. you should be going forward about a knot or two. The boat slowly eases into the wind, loses speed and falls off, picks up speed to point into the wind again.

                --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Alan Miller <cbuzzyb@...> wrote:

                > I think drift leeward.
                >
                > Alan
                > Tempest C26, #22
                >
                > ________________________________

              • wilson111lw
                Message 7 of 15 , May 27 5:45 PM
                  Generally you need to center the boom. This keeps the mainsail stalled and the boat will drift to leeward and slightly backwards.
                  Larry Wilson

                  --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Floent Boico <flo617@...> wrote:

                  > hello,
                  >
                  > so yesterday I was on the bay with my C29mkII and wanted to heave to for a minute to get my harness on and go to the mast to put a second reef. I back winded the jib, put the helm a-lee and eased the main sail quite a bit.
                  >
                  > The boat was still sailing, (albeit slower). I could see the trace on the stern.
                  >
                  > How can I get her to truly heave to?
                  >
                  > Florent

                • Floent Boico
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 28 3:54 PM
                    Interesting, I'll experiment some more next week. As the boat kept moving forward my reflex was to try and ease the sheet but it might just have put her close to a beam reach and the little lift of the semi-inflated main was enough to counter the backward force of the jib.

                    Since the end goal was to set up a reef, I tried to de-power the main but maybe that cannot be done.

                    With the "slightly powered" main, I managed to bring the sail down fairly easily and set my second reef though. It was blowing hard on the bay last week-end! The cabin got so messy I could not find my camera to capture the beautiful boats on the Master Mariners regatta.

                    Florent

                    ------------------------------------

                    Columbia Yacht Owners Association Website:
                    http://www.columbia-yachts.com/

                    Home:
                    http://www.egroups.com/group/columbiasailingyachts/

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        columbiasailingyachts-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        columbiasailingyachts-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Mike Allison
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 28 4:14 PM
                      A real good read on the subject is

                      Storm Tactics Handbook: Modern Methods of Heaving-to for Survival in
                      Extreme Conditions, 3rd Edition
                      by Pardey, Lin and Larry Pardey

                      Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
                      E-Mail: mysloop@...
                    • jackever
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 29 2:59 AM
                        Do not understand how you would move backwards as all web postings I have seen mention slow forward movement. But I will try different trim next time I am out to see.
                        Here is a good one pager on the technique.

                        http://www.sailonline.com/seamanship/boat-handling/heaving-to-maneuver-a-must

                        Jack

                        --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Mike Allison <mysloop@...> wrote:

                        > A real good read on the subject is
                        >
                        > Storm Tactics Handbook: Modern Methods of Heaving-to for Survival in
                        > Extreme Conditions, 3rd Edition
                        > by Pardey, Lin and Larry Pardey
                        >
                        > Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
                        > E-Mail: mysloop@...

                      • wilson111lw
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 29 8:30 AM
                          In my case, all experience has been in a river current....might be that the current is overwhelming enough to cause the backward movement.
                          Larry Wilson

                          --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, "jackever" <jackever@...> wrote:

                          > Do not understand how you would move backwards as all web postings I have seen mention slow forward movement. But I will try different trim next time I am out to see.
                          > Here is a good one pager on the technique.
                          >
                          > http://www.sailonline.com/seamanship/boat-handling/heaving-to-maneuver-a-must
                          >
                          > Jack
                          >
                          > --- In columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com, Mike Allison <mysloop@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > A real good read on the subject is
                          > >
                          > > Storm Tactics Handbook: Modern Methods of Heaving-to for Survival in
                          > > Extreme Conditions, 3rd Edition
                          > > by Pardey, Lin and Larry Pardey
                          > >
                          > > Mike Allison (North of Kansas City Mo, USA)
                          > > E-Mail: mysloop@

                        • Peter
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 29 11:03 AM
                            "Heaving" was on the agenda for my crew on Saturday, in 4-6 ft chop, and 20-25 kts with occasional gusting headers.
                            I thought about heaving to in order for them to have a break, but they were already going to the rail, and it was not really a long tack, lasting about 3-1/2 hours.
                            I had a deep reef, and about 75% of the jib out, wind abeam.

                            Along comes a J 120 tight-hauled and crosses our wake, hot-dogging with decks awash. His crew was scrambling to keep aboard. My crew asked "why would he want to do that?" I opined that he is a racing skipper, and will sail a course no matter what.

                            After we got to harbor and anchored, and found the bath house being rebuilt and not yet functional, the crew returned and got some rest aboard, sleeping like babies through the night, followed by a good breakfast ashore, then we started back out onto the Bay.

                            I promised that if it seemed like we were going to have a rough ride to the next harbor, I would turn back. They also understood it would involve them waiting about 12-16 hours for me to return to home port, load the car and go across the Bay Tunnel Bridge to get them, so they were vested in getting their sea legs.

                            I coached them on bent-knee stance and keeping feet apart and spread athwart the center of gyration. Don't stare at anything, just glance around, and allow your body to move with the boat, but if you tense up, your body will move in reaction to the boat, and that's not in sync.

                            Then I gave them turns at the helm, with the most tender one of them on helm first. That helped him a lot, to have some control.

                            Another night aboard, and some etiquette lessons about jumping off the dock onto the cabin top, reinforced by a critique observing that sooner or later one of those leaps to get over "those pesky ropes always in the way" would result in a bloody face or some other bodily injury, when his foot hangs up and he goes face-first.

                            Monday we had flat water and no wind, and their judgement was "this is much better", so I don't think I founded any new sailors.
                            Although, when we got back to home port, Larry Wilson got busy trying to sell the poppa a boat.....Good luck on that, Larry!!

                            C'est la vie, I'd sail it alone anytime....
                            ~ pete

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 29 2:30 PM

                              Trust one thing Peter, when they get home and get their land legs at last they will go to bed and dream of their experience. Most of them a few of them will just have to get back out there and do it again. I wouldn’t doubt it at all if the first one you put at the helm will be the first to own a sailboat. Glad there are people like you out there willing to give others the thrill of being out there.

                              Jesse Doyle

                              1971 Columbia 28’

                              s/v Wind Singer

                              Redwood City, Ca.