RE: CYOA - 26 MK 2 Windows

  • Daniel Grant
    Message 1 of 13 , May 19 12:03 AM
      Use GE Ultra Glaze Structural Sealant SSG-4000  This is what Bowmar, the hatch company, uses to seal the plexi-glass and Lexan in their hatches. This is also what they use to seal windows "tall" buildings. I used it in my windows and they have been dry and tight for more than 6 years.

      To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
      From: irumrj@...
      Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700
      Subject: Re: CYOA - 26 MK 2 Windows

      Consider 4200.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 19 10:52 AM
        Will give it a look see. Thanks Jim.

        Message 3 of 13 , May 19 10:59 AM
          Dan, is the SSG-4000 easy to find? Also when you went back in with the windows did you go with the Plexi-glass or Lexan. Thanks, R.D.

          To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
          From: irumrj@...
          Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700

          Message 4 of 13 , May 19 1:11 PM
            I used 3/8 inch Lexan for strength as I was planning to do off shore sailing in my 8.7. There are tinted and scratch resistant Lexan. It will cloud with age so you may want to make canvas snap covers which I did not do. I also replaced my sliding hatch with  1/2 inch Lexan. This made a huge improvement inside because it brought in light and gave an open atmosphere and gave the impression it was more roomy inside. I keep a harbor Freight stretched over this piece of Lexan. I actually called the GE sealant division and they sent me a tube and later I purchased another tube through them. You might check with your Lexan supplier. All I can say is this sealant is fabulous stuff. Dan

            To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
            From: Robbie30300@...
            Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 13:59:30 -0400

            To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
            From: irumrj@...
            Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700

            Consider 4200.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 19 9:51 PM
              Appears to be readily available out there

              Amazon http://www.amazon.com/SSG4000-UltraGlaze-Silicone-Structural-Glazing/dp/B001G12MMQ

              And ebay http://compare.ebay.com/like/260652757694?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

              HJ

              To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
              From: irumrj@...
              Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700

                From: irumrj@...
                Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700

                Message 7 of 13 , May 21 6:26 PM
                  Thanks Dan. I will check on the scratch resistant Lexan. Pulled the windows apart tonight I am not sure what thickness Lexan to go back with due to the pane was 3/16 with a fitted seal that filled the 5/16 groove.Thinking of going back in with 1/4 inch Lexan and using sealant to take up the slop. Looks like I will be looking at a case price for the sealant. R.D.

                  To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                  From: Robbie30300@...
                  Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 13:59:30 -0400

                  To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                  From: irumrj@...
                  Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700

                  Consider 4200.

                  Pulled both cabin windows, but they were not sealed with 5200 (per Columbia specs) must have been the other sealant the specs mention (Poly 25) due to the fact that the sealant was still pliable and left a white film on my hands as I removed it. Searched Poly 25 without any luck, the flexibility of this stuff they used makes me want to go back with it when I reinstall. Anyone have Poly 25 info?    Thanks R.D.

                • cchl74
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 22 5:40 AM
                    The GE Lexan MR10-112 is pretty good. The UV resistance is done with a surface treatment so pay attention when you cut and install so that the UV resistant side is on the outside. As said, use GE Ultraglaze Structural Sealant SSG4000.

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 22 9:01 AM
                      Bruce,
                      I would stick with the GE SSG 4000. The Bomar Hatch company uses it to seal all their Plexiglass and Lexan and has done so for years. I used it in sealing all my windows and for 6 years I have never had a drop  leak. I would not gamble with this track record. I'd scrimp somewhere else where it would not be a major ordeal to redo and have to replace the glass as well. Dan

                      To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                      From: Kbjmjrb@...
                      Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:40:57 -0400

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 22 10:21 AM
                        I must not have been clear. The GE MR10-112 is the Lexan itself. It is a scratch resistant, UV stabilized industrial grade. Of course, use SSG4000 for the sealant.

                        To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                        From: Kbjmjrb@...
                        Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:40:57 -0400

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 22 12:15 PM
                          Sorry for the miss read. My eye sight is not what it use to be. Dan

                          To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                          From: Kbjmjrb@...
                          Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:21:20 -0400

                          To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com