Re: CYOA - 26 MK 2 Windows

    Message 1 of 13 , May 18, 2013
      Consider 4200.

      From: "Robbie30300@..." <Robbie30300@...>
      To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 7:13 PM
      Subject: CYOA - 26 MK 2 Windows

      Pulled both cabin windows, but they were not sealed with 5200 (per Columbia specs) must have been the other sealant the specs mention (Poly 25) due to the fact that the sealant was still pliable and left a white film on my hands as I removed it. Searched Poly 25 without any luck, the flexibility of this stuff they used makes me want to go back with it when I reinstall. Anyone have Poly 25 info?    Thanks R.D.

    • Daniel Grant
      Message 2 of 13 , May 19, 2013
        Use GE Ultra Glaze Structural Sealant SSG-4000  This is what Bowmar, the hatch company, uses to seal the plexi-glass and Lexan in their hatches. This is also what they use to seal windows "tall" buildings. I used it in my windows and they have been dry and tight for more than 6 years.

        To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
        From: irumrj@...
        Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700
        Subject: Re: CYOA - 26 MK 2 Windows

      • Robbie30300@...
        Message 3 of 13 , May 19, 2013
          Will give it a look see. Thanks Jim.

          Message 4 of 13 , May 19, 2013
            Dan, is the SSG-4000 easy to find? Also when you went back in with the windows did you go with the Plexi-glass or Lexan. Thanks, R.D.

            To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
            From: irumrj@...
            Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700

            Message 5 of 13 , May 19, 2013
              I used 3/8 inch Lexan for strength as I was planning to do off shore sailing in my 8.7. There are tinted and scratch resistant Lexan. It will cloud with age so you may want to make canvas snap covers which I did not do. I also replaced my sliding hatch with  1/2 inch Lexan. This made a huge improvement inside because it brought in light and gave an open atmosphere and gave the impression it was more roomy inside. I keep a harbor Freight stretched over this piece of Lexan. I actually called the GE sealant division and they sent me a tube and later I purchased another tube through them. You might check with your Lexan supplier. All I can say is this sealant is fabulous stuff. Dan

              To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
              From: Robbie30300@...
              Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 13:59:30 -0400

              To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
              From: irumrj@...
              Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700

              Consider 4200.

              Message 6 of 13 , May 19, 2013
                Appears to be readily available out there

                Amazon http://www.amazon.com/SSG4000-UltraGlaze-Silicone-Structural-Glazing/dp/B001G12MMQ

                And ebay http://compare.ebay.com/like/260652757694?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

                HJ

                To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                From: irumrj@...
                Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700

                  From: irumrj@...
                  Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                    Thanks Dan. I will check on the scratch resistant Lexan. Pulled the windows apart tonight I am not sure what thickness Lexan to go back with due to the pane was 3/16 with a fitted seal that filled the 5/16 groove.Thinking of going back in with 1/4 inch Lexan and using sealant to take up the slop. Looks like I will be looking at a case price for the sealant. R.D.

                    To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                    From: Robbie30300@...
                    Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 13:59:30 -0400

                    To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                    From: irumrj@...
                    Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:18:48 -0700

                    Consider 4200.

                    Pulled both cabin windows, but they were not sealed with 5200 (per Columbia specs) must have been the other sealant the specs mention (Poly 25) due to the fact that the sealant was still pliable and left a white film on my hands as I removed it. Searched Poly 25 without any luck, the flexibility of this stuff they used makes me want to go back with it when I reinstall. Anyone have Poly 25 info?    Thanks R.D.

                  • cchl74
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                      The GE Lexan MR10-112 is pretty good. The UV resistance is done with a surface treatment so pay attention when you cut and install so that the UV resistant side is on the outside. As said, use GE Ultraglaze Structural Sealant SSG4000.

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                        Bruce,
                        I would stick with the GE SSG 4000. The Bomar Hatch company uses it to seal all their Plexiglass and Lexan and has done so for years. I used it in sealing all my windows and for 6 years I have never had a drop  leak. I would not gamble with this track record. I'd scrimp somewhere else where it would not be a major ordeal to redo and have to replace the glass as well. Dan

                        To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                        From: Kbjmjrb@...
                        Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:40:57 -0400

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                          I must not have been clear. The GE MR10-112 is the Lexan itself. It is a scratch resistant, UV stabilized industrial grade. Of course, use SSG4000 for the sealant.

                          To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                          From: Kbjmjrb@...
                          Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 08:40:57 -0400

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                            Sorry for the miss read. My eye sight is not what it use to be. Dan

                            To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com
                            From: Kbjmjrb@...
                            Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 13:21:20 -0400

                            To: columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com