Re: CYOA - finally working on my challenger

  • cchl74
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11 9:19 AM
      My boat had the head thru-hulls, but I took then out and plugged the holes. I recommend that you do the same when you pull the boat. The new depth sounder transducers will sound right through the hull. Also, replace the cockpit drain thru-hull with a new ball valve. I, too, use the v-berth for storage. The original wiring is all gone and I put everything in PVC conduit so when I stuff things in the lockers, the wiring is protected. One fellow on this list recommends adding a couple deck plates on the sheer ahead of the main bulkhead for ventilation. This is a good idea and I am going to do this soon. My boat does not have a foredeck hatch so it can get stuffy up there. Keep in mind that the bunk frames are part of the hull structure, so do not just pull all that out.

      Bruce my 24 had the galley on starboard side attached to bulkhead .. only had a sink and cooler .. the cooler insulation had dropped down so was useless and the sink is in bad place for use .. also very shallow .. I took it out .. this left me with 2 thru holes the valves of which are frozen open .. right now plugged with corks but soon to be capped off till I can haul the boat and close them off for good .. (thinking about what I might use the holes for .. depth finder for instance  or drain for cabin pump ) ... Spent all day yesterday stripping paint on interior .. still need about 2 more days of that I think and I will be ready to start rebuilding the inside .. building a seat and table on the port side in place of the bunk .. with storage drawers under the cock pit sole ... .. at some point will pull the old head out and rework that for a place for the porta potty .. cause I can curtain it off for some privacy if needed .. will use the forward bunks for sail storage  most likely and only use the starboard bunk  in case of overnight single handing camping ... planning a gambled single burner stove .. some solar power lighting inside and a solar recharge set up for the house battery .. as much as I hate to do it gonna have to install safety lines on the deck with stanchions  .. right now love the clean lines of the deck with out them but don't want to fall in the water if I can help it ..

      and the work goes on ... got to rewire her as well .. and put in a push pit on the stern ..like the idea of the linen paint ...Stephen and Harry ...